Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Westphal signs with Millsaps College


               Scottsbluff and Western Nebraska Community College volleyball player Mackenzie Westphal will be continuing her college playing at the next level after inking a letter of intent with Millsaps College Wednesday evening.
               Westphal said that Millsaps was a perfect fit for her to continuing playing volleyball as well as pursue her foreign language degree.
               " I decided to go to Millsaps because when I went on my visit, I really could see myself there," she said. "i really liked the coach and the atmosphere. It is a lot like WNCC where it is small. When you walk into the coaches' offices there, you pretty much can talk to any of the coaches and any one is willing to help you.
               "There coach is a lot like coach Gi [Giovana Melo] and I really got along with the players a lot. When I met the teachers for the field I am going into for Spanish and French, i really got a long with them. It was just a place that I could see myself."
               Westphal was a standout athlete at Scottsbluff earning Star-Herald all-region honors her senior season. Westphal originally signed with Wagner University, but spent two years at Western Nebraska Community College. And, in those two years, the 5-foot-10 outside hitter continued blossoming as a volleyball player, helping the Cougars win the NJCAA national championship in November.
               Westphal said these past two years have been two years that has helped her grow as a person off and on the court.
               "It is kind of hard to put words into it, but playing under coach has been amazing and I feel I have grown so much as a person and a player," she said. "i took a year off so I was a little off when I came back into it, but I feel like I am back into it know. Coach really strives to push as players and people. She works really hard for us to get good grades and play well on the court. It really has been a good experience. And, playing with these girls has been amazing. I will never forget all the memories we made especially winning nationals."
               That national tournament ring will be something that Westphal will cherish for years to come.
               "It feels really good to have this ring because we worked so hard throughout the season. In practice and every single day with running, conditioning, and we really came together from being individuals to being a team. i think this ring proves that we are not only the best team but we are a family now."
               The leadership skills she obtained at WNCC with the rest of the Cougar players that will help Westphal when she joins the Majors' volleyball team next fall. Millsaps is in the same conference as Colorado College from Colorado Springs, Colo.
               "One of the reasons I am going there is because the coach told me I would be really good with the leadership skills in the experience of playing college volleyball," she said. "I definitely think it will help me of already playing in college with the level that we play at."
               Westphal is the last of the sophomores that have signed to go on to play volleyball. The other five, all officially signing letter of intents earlier this month, included Kathryn Stock at NIcholls State in Thibodaux, La., Kuulei Kabalis at Kansas State, Ariel Austin at the University of Alaska Anchorage, Tania Torres at Barry University, and Emily Hoehn at C.W. Post University in New York.
               The past two seasons, WNCC has sent 11 of 13 sophomores on to play at four year schools. Stock and Kabalis signed with NCAA Division I schools this year. Last year, WNCC saw Kalei Kabalis ink with Washington State, Paulina Piegza sign with St. Johns, Cami Weimer with Oklahoma Baptist, Brooke Blomenkamp with Grand Canyon University, and Whitney Roth with Texas A&M KIngsville.


No comments: