Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Morrill's Aratani signs with WNCC women's basketball


               Jessica Aratani knew in the back of her mind that playing basketball at Western Nebraska Community College was the perfect situation for her in continuing her dream of playing at a four-year college.
               Tuesday evening, Aratani made that dream come true, inking a letter of intent with the Cougars. Aratani continues the line of local athletes to sign at WNCC, following in the footsteps of Bayard's Amber Kistler and Hemingford's Shelby Campbell.
               "I have always been around the [Cougar] games and I have always wanted to come play here. I had some other offers, but this was my first choice at the beginning," she said. "I got to know him [Coach Harnish] and I have seen him coach. I got to know some of the players and a lot of my old teammates and friends will be here to help support me."
               Morrill girl's coach Scott Axt said that Aratani one on of those players that believed in hard work and he knows that she will work just as hard at the collegiate level.
               "Jessica has been a fantastic player to coach the last four years. She has been an extremely hard worker and I am proud of her accomplishments this year. She has done everything I have asked her to do and we will greatly miss her in her program," Axt said. "I am happy for her because I think she has the perfect fit. I think she is going to one of the most outstanding programs, not only regionally but also in the country. This guy sitting next to me {Coach Harnish] is one great coach and I am happy to say she will get great coaching here. I know he will develop her to be even a stronger player than she is.
               "I am happy and I fortunate that she had this choice. I think WNCC will be happy to have her be part of their program because she is not only a great ball player, but she is a great person. She will be a great teammate, a great kid for Coach Harnish to have on his team, and I know she will work as hard for him as she did for me. I am proud of her and glad to see her stay in this area because I know our Morrill people are crazy basketball fanatics and they have been showing up for the last year and I know they will be filling up Cougar Palace for her and the Cougars, too. it will be sad to see her go and not be a Lion any more, but I am happy to see her be a Cougar."
               WNCC coach Dave Harnish it is a tribute to the Cougar program and flattering for him and Western Nebraska to have a local kid stay here.
               "To get someone like Jessica with her skill level and talents is a plus for us," he said. "It is an exciting day for us to get a quality player like Jessica and to have her play for the Cougars. What she brings to us is definitely the fan support and the local flare that we are always looking to have. Jessica will definitely come in and give us some size and strength. Playing under Coach Axt the last couple of years, she has been able to develop an outside shot and a player that fits into our system that can play inside and out. We certainly like to press and with her athleticism  we will be able to do that. we are excited to have her and very fortunate to get her."
               Aratani was named the Western Trails Conference player of the year in leading the Lions to the state basketball tournament. She also is a 1,000 point scorer and holds the Morrill career scoring record. But what stands out about Aratani is she also contributes to the team by dishing a lot of assists.
               She said that she realized her dream of playing in the state tournament and never had doubt that they could get to the state tournament.
               "We were really disappointed last year when we lost in the sub-district finals," she said. "Some people doubted us this year, but I knew we had the talent and we were able to do it. We won the sub-district title and then we won districts and made it to state. That was really was special and it showed all the hard work we were doing the last four years to finally get there."
               Aratani hopes to bring that same type of hard work and team play that she had for four years with Morrill to the Cougar program.
               "i just hope I can come in next year and do some positive things for the team whether it be scoring, or defensively or whether it be just a teammate," she said. "I just hope I can be an asset next year. it will take a lot of hard work and everything, but I want to be part of the team and do well for them."
               Aratani, who will major in Radiology has hopes of playing at the next level.
               "My coaches always told me I had potential to play in college," she said. "I started to get looked at a little and I decided I wanted to play collegiately. This is a great start to move on to play two more years after this."
               Harnish said there is no doubt that Aratani can play at a high four-year school.
               "She definitely has the potential to play at the next level after two years here," he said. "I think what she brings to us is the diversity of playing inside and outside. She has played the guard position this year has gotten better in shooting the three and the first couple years in high school she played inside. we are counting on big things from her."
               Aratani is the second player that Harnish has signed for next year. The other is Kelsey Doddridge of Windsor, Colo. Doddridge averaged 14 points a game for Windsor High School.

No comments: