Saturday, February 19, 2011

WNCC's Cappuccilli inks with Central Methodist in Missouri for softball


Jacqui Cappuccilli didn’t waste much time in deciding where she was going to play softball after her sophomore season at Western Nebraska Community College is finished in May. Cappuccilli, from Midway, Utah, officially inked with NCAA Division II Central Methodist University earlier this month.
               “I am going there because of the academics and it fits into my life,” she said. “Also, their softball program is like this one. Coach [Maria Winn] has coached there and [assistant coach Bonuchi] Molly has went there. They said it was a good place.”
               Cappuccilli played catcher and shortstop last season in helping the Cougars to the Region IX championship and a berth at the national tournament. This season, Cappuccilli is penciled in as anchoring down the middle infield position. At Central Methodist, the right-handed slugger is slated to play third base.
               Cappuccilli said, literally, she really doesn’t care where she plays; she just wants to be on the field.
               “Coach told me I was going to play third but I just want to play,” she said. “I am not particular as long as I am on the field.”
               Cappuccilli said that Central Methodist was her only visit and decided right away that it was the place for her.
               “It is beautiful. When I got there, it was not what I expected at all,” she said. “It is really pretty. It is a lot bigger, too. They have a football program and track and field. It just seemed like a good college.”
               The Cougar softball team started their season last weekend and Cappuccilli expects another run at a regional title.
               “We have a lot of talent and a lot of athletic ability,” she said. “I think we should be good as long as we stay true to our tradition and we do what the coach asks us to do.”

No comments: