Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gordon-Rushville's Ostrander signs with WNCC volleyball

Gordon-Rushville's Ostrander is going from one power house team with the Mustangs to another national championship team in WNCC. Ostrander, who was an all-conference selection, choose WNCC over North Platte Community College, Black Hills State College and South Dakota University. WNCC finished last season 43-4 and captured its second national title in four years. The Cougars have won 12 straight regional titles and competed at the national tournament all 12 years.
               "It was an easy choice to choose WNCC," the Mustangs' outside hitter said. "When I practiced with the girls I felt I belonged here."
               WNCC coach Giovana Melo said that she could be used at any of the hitter positions and is excited to get someone with her athleticism.
               " i think she is very athletic and she not only can play volleyball, but she can play basketball," Melo said. "I think she has a lot to improve and I told her that she can bring a lot to the table and get better. She can help us get better as a team, too. Her bonding with the other girls from the team is great. She can bring a lot to the table."
               Ostrander is a standout in all three sports at Gordon-Rushville. On the volleyball court, she helped the Mustangs to a 25-8 record last season. Ostrander, who played alongside her twin sister Alicia for the past four years and even played with her older sister Allison for years, said she will miss her teammates that she has been around for the past six years.
               "I will miss the girls," she said. "All seven of us have played with each other for five to six years through middle school basketball. In high school, we have gotten close to each other and we are like sisters and family. i will miss them."
               Ostrander said her goal is to play volleyball at the four-year level, but by signing with a junior college, she can get some of the classes out of the way before she takes that next step upwards.
               " I am trying to go into physical therapy," she said. "I am just trying to get some of my easier classes taken care of before moving onto an university."
               Ostrander said she is prepared for the workouts that begin the first of August.
               "I talked to the volleyball players when I came up here for a practice and they told me what the workouts will be like," she said. "It will be more challenging and I like a challenge."
               She added that now that she has made that college decision, she can relax and have fun the rest of her senior year.
               "It feels good that the pressure is off," she said. "I mean, I don't have to worry about if I want to go here or there. i don't have to think about it anymore."
               Ostrander is Melo's third recruit that she has signed for next year.

No comments: