Tuesday, April 20, 2010

WNCC's Chacon, Hearn sign to continue with softball

Western Nebraska Community College Brittany Chacon isn’t going too far from home or WNCC next year after signing to continue her softball playing career with Chadron State College next year.

Another Cougars, student manager Brenda Hearn, also signed a scholarship offer with Northwest Oklahoma University last week. Both players say they are excited to be continuing their softball careers.

“I picked Chadron because it is so close to home and to my family. I am a big family person,” she said. “Coach [Rob] Stack has done a pretty good job with his team. It is also a small community and I like the small communities because you are more than just a number, you get to know everybody.”

Chacon, a second baseman from Broomfield, Colo., has been a key performer for the Cougars this season. She currently is hitting .337 on the season with 16 RBIs and 31 runs scores. Chacon also had three home runs and four doubles to her credit in helping the Cougar softball team to a 33-17 record and the conference title.

Chacon said she will miss her WNCC family – the players, coaches and friends.

“The girls have done a lot for me. They turned me into a better player as well as the coaching staff,” she said. “They worked around my injuries and they still gave me an opportunity to play. The community here is also a big part of WNCC softball. They have a good support system here.”

Chacon was also looking at Adams State and Montana State-Billings, but when she visited the campus in Chadron, she realized just how much it was similar to WNCC.

“I did go up on a visit and I liked the campus,” she said. “It is not very big but it has more buildings then the Scottsbluff campus. It is very nice.

She is also looking forward to the fall when Chadron State usually comes down to the WNCC Fall Classic so she can play against WNCC.

“Both teams are pretty good,” she said. “It is pretty good competition. WNCC is good. Chadron State is good. We will see what happens in the fall.”
Hearn came to WNCC to play softball and soon had to give up her playing because of her Scleroderma, which is a skin disease. Still, Hearn remained a part of the Cougar softball team as the student assistant as she learns the ropes of coaching.

“I decided to go to Northwest Oklahoma because the coach is willing to work with me with my Scleroderma. I also the fact I have relatives in the area,” Hearn said. “I will still be doing the same thing I was doing here as the team manager and it will be nice to be learning different softball plays and what other coaches have to offer because I want to be a coach some day.”

Hearn, who came to WNCC from Tijeras, N.M., said that her time here will be cherished.

“I am going to miss the community because this is a really nice area to be in,” she said. “I am also going to miss my dorm family [Scott and Amy Winters] a lot because they done a lot for me. The teachers also really work with you as well.”

For Hearn, though, it has been tough not being able to play softball anymore. But, she has found her love on the coaching side of things.

“It has been a little tough not playing because at times I wish I could be playing. I enjoy what I am doing know because the girls are very supportive and coach so is Coach Winn,” she said.

Chacon and Hearn are the fourth and fifth players from the softball team to sign letters so far. In November Megan Burditt signed with Northwest Oklahoma, while Katie Groves and Adena Hagen signed with Central Missouri University.

No comments: