Friday, April 16, 2010

Three WNCC players headed to Division I level

In the photo is (l-r) WNCC head coach Russ Beck, WNCC incoming freshman Mike Peltz of Alliance, Francisco Cruz and Lloyd Hickinson.

Photos of the signing are located on the photo gallery site at http://wncccougars.smugmug.com/Cougar-Mens-Basketball/Cruz-Hickinson-Peltz-signing/11846556_mTkup#837643465_TrcgT


The Western Nebraska Community College men’s basketball program has three players headed to the NCAA Division I level.

WNCC guard Francisco Cruz officially signed his letter of intent to play at the University of Wyoming on Wednesday. Also signing on Wednesday was Lloyd Hickinson, who played for the Cougars from 2007-2009, inked with Southern University in Baton Rouge, La.

Geddes Robinson signed with Utah Valley State College on Thursday.

Robinson said Utah Valley State College is a perfect fit for him.

“I felt comfortable with the coach and I felt it was a good opportunity for me,” the 6-foot-5 forward said. “As for picking a good coach, it was a easy choice for me because his record speaks for himself. For basketball, I just had to make the right decisions for me as a player and then just go there and try to be successful.”

Robinson transferred to WNCC this year and averaged 19 points and nine rebounds a game this season. He will be going to a Utah Valley State team with the potential to do well.

“Ronnie Price played for Utah Valley and averaged about 29 points a game and he now has a four-year NBA career and he has played for Coach [Dick] Hunsaker,” WNCC coach Russ Beck said. “We kind of expect Geddes to go there and step into a role that both he will be comfortable with and coach Hunsaker is recruiting him to be that type of player. We are excited for Geddes and expect good things from him.”

Cruz is also excited about his opportunity at Wyoming, after officially signing to become a Cowboy on Wednesday. Cruz verbally committed to Wyoming in February.

“I am really excited about finally signing. I have a place to go and play Division I basketball,” the 6-foot-4 guard said. “I was happy to play at WNCC and I enjoyed the people here. I really liked the support that they gave us.”

This past season, Cruz ranked No. 22 in the nation in scoring among National Junior College Division I players. He was also a First Team All-Region 9 selection.

As a sophomore, Cruz averaged 20.0 points, made 92 three pointers and shot 47 percent from three-point land. He shot 45 percent from the field and 78 percent from the free-throw line. He also averaged 6.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.0 steals a game. He started all 32 games and helped lead the Cougars to a 19-13 overall record. His best game of the season came when he scored 41 points in a win over Eastern Wyoming. On the year, Cruz made three or more three pointers in 18 of 32 games.

As a freshman at WNCC, Cruz knocked down 41 three pointers and scored 460 points. He was selected as the school's most valuable male athlete. In his career at WNCC, Cruz became only the 12th player in school history to score over 1,000 career points. He ended his career with 1,099 points.

“Pako has been a very fun player to coach and I am pleased with his opportunity to go continue his career at a great school like Wyoming,” Beck said. “We will miss him a lot and whoever replaces him will have some big shoes to fill.”

Hickinson, a 6-foot-6 player from Chandler, Ariz., played for Brian Joyce from 2007-09, but was also recruited by Beck to play for Salt Lake Community College.

“I found out who the head coach was over the summer and the name was familiar,” he said. “Then, when I went to his office and I was like you were the coach at Salt Lake. I was kind of funny because he actually recruited me to go to Salt Lake Community College and I choose here.”

Hickinson averaged about eight points and seven rebounds during his sophomore year with the Cougars, said his goal was to go Division I and not Division II, so he decided to return to WNCC to take care of his academics.

“It was important for me to come back just go to school,” he said. “I could have gone Division II route last year. It was a humbling experience because you went in the front playing and having the crowd support to just being another face in the crowd.”

Hickinson said his three years here made him more mature.

“I became a man, in a sense, while going here,” he said. “It was weird because here people would just come up and start speaking to me, which doesn’t happen in the city. I received a lot of love. This community is different from a lot because people actually care about not only athletics, but about the person.

“Coach Beck and Coach Gianno have helped me a lot. They really didn’t have to let me into their program because I am here this year finishing up my academics. They accepted me into the family, let me practice with them, lift with them.

Beck said that Hickinson has unlimited potential and wishes he would have won the recruiting battle for his talents.

“It’s true that three and a half years ago I was trying to recruit Lloyd to SLCC [where Beck was an assistant coach],” he said. “I am excited for Lloyd, he is a great young man and a phenomenal athlete. We expect him to really have an impact at Southern University in Baton Rouge.

“There are not many players across the country that possesses the kind of leaping ability that Lloyd has. He can knock down the open three and he can really impact the game with his ability to attack the offensive glass.”

So far four players have signed to go to the Division I level. Scott Bamforth was the first to ink back in November as the 6-2 guard signed with Weber State. Bamforth will have three years playing at the Utah school.

Beck also said that Saul Torres, Geoffrey Firmin and Ritchie Mundende all have opportunity to play at the Division I level as well. For Firmin and Munende, that would mean that they would have three years at that level. Seeing all these players go to the Division I level is a positive for the program.

“We want to recruit high caliber student athletes here to the men’s basketball program,” he said. “We are excited about our guys having opportunities to continue on and playing Division I.”

No comments: