Friday, February 21, 2014

WNCC's Agnew inks with Ashford University



                 Western Nebraska Community College men’s soccer player Daniel Agnew’s sophomore season was confined to rehabilitating his torn ACL. It was not something he wanted to endure after having an outstanding freshman season in 2012.
                Now, after sitting out last season because of the ACL injury, Agnew is ready to take his game to the next level. Agnew inked Thursday with Ashford University out of Clinton, Iowa, a NAIA institution that has a well-established soccer program that finished last season at 16-4-2 and competed at the national tournament.
                WNCC coach Todd Rasnic said Ashford is a program that is a good fit for Agnew, whose passion for soccer runs deep.
                “We think Dan will be a great asset to Ashford University,” Rasnic said. “Their program is a very strong NAIA program and I think he will go there and contribute. They have made a few appearances in the national tournament the last few years. He will fight for every minute he gets on the field. We are delighted that he is given this opportunity after Western Nebraska.”
                Agnew said he had some options for next year, but he felt Ashford was the right fit for him both academically and athletically.
                “It was a difficult decision but I thought this was the best offer for me,” he said. “Coach Richard Markham has a top soccer program there. They went to the semifinals of nationals last year and it is the right fit for me.”
                Rasnic said even though Agnew couldn’t play because of an ACL injury he suffered in the team’s first pre-season game, he was an asset to the team with his leadership.
                “We will miss Dan next year. He has been a team leader for us through a couple tough years,” Rasnic said. “He has demonstrated with good character and leadership that he is a player that certainly deserves the right to play at the next level. Academically he is outstanding.”
                Agnew, who come to the states from Bellymena, Ireland, said he has adapted well to American soccer.
                “It was a big step in coming here to play at Western Nebraska and it is an even bigger step moving on and I am looking forward to the next step,” he said. “I played at a high level back home so this will be good for me when I go to Ashford because I get to play with a lot of international players at a top level. I will be pushing on with my soccer and I will see where soccer takes me.”
                But, for Agnew, last season was a nightmare where he had to sit and watch has his team struggled through a difficult year. And that was all after Agnew was one of the top defenders in Region IX his freshman year.
                “My freshman year I did well, but unfortunately in my first game of the season I tore my ACL,” he said. “I am looking at this signing in two ways. I know I have three years of eligibility and that is a plus, but obviously it would have been nice to play this year.”
                Agnew said his recovery from the ACL injury is coming along well and hopes to be back to normal by this summer.
                “I have been out of surgery for four months and I am continuing with rehab,” he said. “I am hoping to be back to full fitness by this summer and ready for the preseason at Ashford.”
                What really inspires Agnew to do his best in soccer is his grandpa, Cartney Agnew, who passed away last summer.
                “I want to say a special thank you to my ‘Papa’ who passed away in the summer,” he said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for his advice and interest he took in me when I was at home playing my soccer for Ballymena United Football Club.”
                Agnew said that after his schooling at Ashford, he is hoping that he can continue his soccer playing at the next level.
                “I hope to stay in America and see what happens after Ashford,” he said. “Hopefully I can continue with my soccer and continue growing as a player.”

No comments: