Monday, April 30, 2012

Gering's Copsey signs with WNCC soccer



                 Gering’s Dani Copsey has dreams of continuing at Creighton University and her first step in accomplishing that goal is playing soccer at Western Nebraska Community College. The Bulldog defender signed to play for the Cougars last week.
                “Coming to WNCC gave me a chance to play soccer at the next level and play more competitively,” Copsey said. “Plus, [coach} Todd Rasnic is a great coach and I am looking forward to playing for him.”
                Copsey, who also was the starting catcher for the Bulldog softball team this year, is hoping to move on to the next level. WNCC, she said, is a good step in that direction.
                “The last few years I realized I loved the sport and Todd gave me the chance to carry on and play at the next level. I appreciate that,” she said.
                WNCC soccer coach Todd Rasnic sees a lot of raw talent in Copsey. Right now, the plans are for her to play a forward position.
                “She does have a pretty good efficiency of playing with her back to the goal and moving balls off to attacking forwards,” Rasnic said. “I think we can build on that and turn her into a very productive player for WNCC.”
                Rasnic said Copsey also brings some size as well as a good mental attitude to the game.
                “I think the number one thing she brings is a good mental attitude,” he said. “Because of her size we can build her into a player that can be very productive for us. Our games are a bit more physical than what you see in high school, so it is wise to get players that have good strength and I think she brings that to the table. She has strong potential from some of things I have noticed when she is playing.”
                Copsey and the Bulldog soccer team are 11-6 on the season and captured the No. 1 seed in the district tournament. She said their goal is to gain the school’s third trip to state. The district championship game is Thursday, May 3. Gering plays Tuesday in the semifinals.
                “That was a big accomplishment to be the districts’ number one seed,” she said. “I couldn’t tell you how excited our team was when we found out about that. It took a lot of hard work and it definitely paid off.”
                Copsey’s hard work will continue over the summer as she prepares for the college game.
                “The workout this summer will be pretty challenging and I am looking forward to it to get in shape,” she said. “He will work us pretty hard.”
                She treasures the time she had playing soccer at Gering and is looking forward to the next level.
                “I will remember my teammates and all the good times we had,” she said. “I couldn’t have asked to play on a better team. That is one of the reasons I am here right now.”
               

No comments: