Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Araujo, Goncalves named NJCAA, AVCA First Team All-American


Fernanda Goncalves and Debora Araujo keep piling up the honors.
The two Western Nebraska Community College volleyball standouts have captured two more honors in their sophomore season.  Last week, Goncalves and Araujo were selected as NJCAA first-team All-Americans.  And earlier this week, they were named as first team American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) first team selections.
                The two sophomores capped off their volleyball careers at WNCC with a third-place finish at the national tournament, helping the Cougars to a 41-2 season. Both players also were named to the national tournament all-tournament team in November.
                Goncalves, who earned back-to-back NJCAA and AVCA first team all-American honors, said she is honored with the selection.
                “Being on the first team all-American for the second year in a row means a lot to me,” she said. “It means that every effort from practice, the games, the tears are all worth it. I am very happy and pleased to be part of the all-American team and I’m just happy for everything that I accomplished here at WNCC.”
                Araujo, who was a second team all-American as a freshman, had an outstanding season this year, finishing with more than 1,000 career kills and became only one of 11 players in school history to achieve that goal.
“For me this honor means that I did a good job representing the WNCC volleyball team and it shows that I worked hard all season to be where I am right know,” she said.
                Goncalves and Araujo are the only South Region IX players to make the team. Players from the Region IX North earning first team recognition include Makayla Keck and Olivera Medic of Western Wyoming Community College, while the Mustangs’ Arielle Allen is a second team selection. Central Wyoming College’s Leticia Guimaraes is a second team selection.
For the 2011 season, Araujo racked up impressive numbers. She finished with 488 kills, 52 aces, 395 digs and 47 blocks this season. She also was 12th in the nation in kills per set at 3.78.
                Goncalves finished with 1,405 set assists. With her 10.81 average, Goncalves ended the season as the fourth best setter in the nation. She also had 53 blocks, 334 digs and 39 aces. The setter also hit 81 percent from the attacking position.
                Because of the success Goncalves and Araujo have had on the court, both players are getting plenty of attention from four-year schools. Goncalves said she has received lots of emails from college coaches and listed 15 schools that have stayed in her mind, including New Mexico State, University of Buffalo, Indiana University, Gonzaga University, Texas-San Antonio, West Virginia, and Florida International.
                Araujo named about 20 schools that have piqued her attention. She’s interested in a number of the same schools as Goncalves. She’s also eyeing  MeNeese State, Barry University, Nicholes State, Ohio State, South Carolina State, and California State University-Los Angeles to name a few.
                The two, who came to WNCC from Brazil, said that their two years at WNCC have been exceptional.
                “Here at WNCC I had experiences that will last for the rest of my life,” she said. “I have had the opportunity to learn a new language. We were national champions in my freshman year and I was named the MVP of the tournament. We finished third in the nation my sophomore year and was named MVP and setter of the year at the regional tournament.
                “I made a lot of friends and I had the opportunity to work with the best coaches that are responsible for more than half of my success. I had great teachers that had a lot of patience with me. I just have to say thanks for WNCC for everything and it is amazing to be here.”
                For Araujo, she said she has come a long way in her two years at WNCC. As a freshman, it was rough for her, but this season things are going well. She credits her teammates, coaches, and the teachers at WNCC in helping her succeed.
                “I had a good experience in my two years of volleyball,” she said. “I had the best coaches who were always helping me in anything that I needed help with. Also, I had awesome teammates last year and this year. In the classroom, I gave everything to school and all my teachers helped me a lot. All the people at the college and the dorm parents, who are always helping in everything, will be missed. They are good people and I will miss the family that I made here.”


               
               

No comments: