Thursday, January 27, 2011

WNCC's Guadarrama goes from soccer to boxing


 
            Western Nebraska Community College sophomore Chris Guadarrama has always had a passion to try boxing. Shortly after the Cougar men’s soccer team ended, Guadarrama put on the gloves and started training for his first amateur fight in Rapid City, S.D., back in December.
            Guadarrama came out of the fight as a victor, topping his opponent 30-28. His opponent had experience having fought seven times previously.
            The Gering High graduate said he will continue boxing as his next fight is scheduled in the coming months. Guadarrama also helps out at the Guadalupe Boxing Club, working with youngsters.
Q: Were you surprised to get the win in your first boxing match and how do you feel about getting that first win?
A: Well, I felt I lost the fight and I even told the ref “man I should of done better.” Then the ref said, “I think you did all you could.” But, it felt really good to win it, because I don’t like losing. I do accept defeat, but I went in there having that winning attitude. This win felt really good to me too because my opponent had seven fights before me. For me to fight against someone who had more experience than me and beating him, I couldn’t believe it .The first win is always the best. I feel it will establish my career and will give me the confidence I need in my next fights.

Q: Was boxing in that first match what you though it was going to be?
A: Actually no. I thought he was going to take me to school. He had experience and I thought that was an advantage for him. I kept thinking before we fought, “I’m I really ready for this fight?” I kept looking at him and thought, “I feel ready. I think I can take him.” And when we got in the ring, it really surprised me how I was dominating the fight instead of him. He even out-weighed me by 6 pounds. So the fight was a big surprise to me. I didn’t expect to come out with the “W.”

Q: What was the hardest part for you in the fight?
A: The hardest part for me was, of course, hurting my opponent. People back home know me as a nice kid, the type of kid who wouldn’t hurt anyone. So for me to go in there and hurt someone was the hardest thing. [WNCC soccer coach Todd] Rasnic tells me the next day after the fight, “Did you tell the guy you were sorry.” I laughed and said, “Nope coach not this time, but I was considering it.” That’s what this sport is about though, hurting each other until someone gives up or loses by the boxing judges deciding the outcome. I didn’t mean to hurt him if I did, but that’s the name of the game.”

Q: What was the reason why you won?
A: The reason I won was because of my coach (Javier Conde), my teammates, and some of the local parents who traveled to watch. If it wasn’t for the training and preparation my coach taught me I wouldn’t have been able to do it. And hearing the cheers and screams from the fans, teammates and our coach, it makes you want to go knock out the guy or win at all costs. Another reason I felt I won was I never gave up even when the tide turned at times during the match. I worked my way out of jams and kept pushing to the end.

Q: What kind of training did you go through for this first fight?
A: Training consisted of a routine. Monday, Wednesday and Friday were the days that we trained. I like to start off with a light jog, at least one mile or two. After that, I have a list which consists of four rounds of jumping jacks at 2 minutes, squats for four rounds at 2 minutes, 300 crunches sometimes I aim for at least 500, and at least 100-150 push-ups. Once that is all done, I hit the punching bags, speed bags, and mitts for 3 rounds at 2 minutes each.”

Q: What are your future plans for boxing?
A: I would like to keep boxing for as long as I can. I think I want to stay amateur for least a couple of years, before I ever decide to go pro. I still have a lot to learn. My heart really wants to keep playing soccer because that’s the sport I really want to make pro at. But, as for boxing, it’s something I always liked and I want to keep doing. It is a sport to keep me in shape and keep doing for fun. But, I’m not saying I would ever consider going pro for boxing.

Q: Why did you decide to box and have you boxed before this year?
A: Well, my inspiration came from my best friend in high school, Vincent Lopez. When we were in high school he boxed and he always wanted me to join it, but I was always busy training for soccer. He did great. I think he had five fight and won them all. He still fights, but he is currently serving in the Marines. It’s funny I talked to him and told him, “Look at what you got me into.” He laughed and I told him, “I would try to make him proud.” We would watch pro fights on TV and I think that also played a key into my decision to fight. My boxing idol or the one whose boxing style I loved to watch was Oscar De La Hoya. His never-give-up-attitude and the struggles he went through to make it professional really inspires me and gives me hope that one day I can make in the professional business. I really didn’t think I was going to fight anyone. I trained in the summer so I could be in shape for my last season with the Cougar men’s soccer team this last fall. I never fought in the summer because there were no fights available, but I trained a lot and it showed on the soccer field. I’m really glad I did this sport, I have no regrets.

Q:  Is there anything else you want to say about your boxing career?
A: I would just like to say thank you to my family and everyone who supported me through boxing and soccer, and it really means a lot without all of them. I couldn’t have done it without them. I would also like to thank all of the coach’s (Rasnic, [[Justin] Clark, and Conde) for always having confidence in me and making me into the athlete and person I am today. And, to my teammates who I have had the pleasure to play alongside, you guys were the best and I wish the best for all you.

No comments: