Friday, April 12, 2013

Ryder named second-team NJCAA all-American



               Western Nebraska Community College's Gritt Ryder capped off her sophomore season with the Cougars not only as a member of the Region IX championship basketball team, but also earning a NJCAA national honor.
               Ryder, who averaged 16 points and eight rebounds a game, was named a second team NJCAA all-American on Monday. This is the first all-American from WNCC since 2008-09 when Shaquilah Davis was named an NJCAA honorable mention recipient.
               Ryder, however, said while the honor is nice, what is more important is that her team played together as a unit and achieved their team goals, which included a regional title.
               "It is a huge recognition and it is something I didn't think would happen," the sophomore from Denmark said. "I am super excited and proud and it showed the hard work and achievement that I put into the season."
               Ryder the many hours in the gym at nigh paid off, not only for the team but herself, paid off.
               "It was many extra hours in the gym at night with extra shooting an
d all the extra things I could do with running. It was just going hard every day in practice," she said. "But it wasn't just for me, but for the team to win. For me I don't care about being an all-American if we hadn't won the regional championship. That is the most important thing because as a team we put hard work into it. I wanted to as a person and then it all paid off as an all-American."
               The Cougars finished with an official 20-14 record, but the players still firmly believe they are 33-2 since that is the number of games they won on the scoreboard.
               "I had many points and all that, but if we hadn't played good as a team. it wouldn't have mattered at all," she said. "Of course I am proud of being an all-American but what I remember about this year is the team and what we did as a team accomplishment and not me individually."
               Ryder joins a talented all-American group. Only two other Region IX athletes earned the honor of being all-American. GIllette College's Kenosha Wright on the second team and Sheridan's Milomilo Nanai as honorable mention.
               First team all-Americans include Ade Archiri of MIdland College, Briana Brooks of Weatherford College, Janelle Cannon of Southwestern Illinois College, Khadijah Carter of Jacksonville College, Brea Edwards of Central Arizona, Audrisa Harrison of Blinn, Tamara Jones of Garden City, Aisjah Roan of Walters State, Terai-Ma-Teata Sedler of Crowder, and Tamara Taylor of Gulf Coast.
               Joining Ryder and Wright on the second team include Shlonte Allen of Trinity Valley, Chelsea Bates of Northern Oklahoma, Adriana Dent of College of Southern Idaho, Joymesia Howard of Central Arizona, Michelle Mitchell of Darton State, Antqunita Reed of St. Petersburg, Leah Scott of Iowa Western, and Georgia Stirton of North Idaho.
               The third and honorable mention teams are highlighted by two players from ASA College, the team the Cougars lost 74-68 to at the national tournament. They include Sashana Bucknor, who was a third team member, and Tiffani Jones, who earned honorable mention honors.
               This is Ryder's first all-American honor. Last year as a freshman at the University of Alaska Anchorage, she received the conference's freshman of the year and was selected as the team's most improved player. Ryder helped Alaska Anchorage to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Division II tournament.
               This season, Ryder said playing with and against some of the greatest players in junior college was an honor, and to be recognized alongside them as all-Americans is an honor.
               "it is always nice to get as far as you can," she said. "It was crazy to see how many good athletes there are in junior college and to see some of the other teams play. There are some really great athletes and to be a part of them in being an all-American is a huge honor."
               Ryder now is ready to take her talents to the Division I level after inking with Colorado State University during the early signing period in November. Ryder said she doesn't know how she will do, but is going in with the same work ethic that she had at WNCC.
               "I haven't tried to play at the Division I level so I don't know what it is like, but I imagine it is like playing at the junior college national tournament and the NCAA Division II nationals," she said. "i am excited and I hope we work as hard as we did this year on the team next year. I think we should do well."
               Ryder will spend two months taking summer classes at CSU before returning home to Denmark for a couple months before classes begin in the fall. Ryder said she has made may friends at WNCC.
               "There will be a lot of tears [when I leave here]," she said. "I made a lot of close bonds and I had a great year here. it will be hard to leave, but I am also super excited for next year and new challenges. I hope the people will come and watch me play at CSU and if I have the time, I for sure will come and watch these girls play next year."

No comments: