Friday, April 12, 2013

Men's basketball inks Gering's Bibb, Utah's Einfeldt




              Monday was the first day junior college teams could start signing players and Western Nebraska Community College men's basketball coach Russ Beck didn't waste any time in adding some scoring depth to the team.
               Gering's Zac Bibb and Utah's Joel Einfeldt signed letter of intents to play for the Cougars on Monday and both are ready to bring a regional championship to the college.
               "We feel like we are adding two very fine young men that will benefit our program right away," Beck said. "They have an opportunity to come in help us get back to our winning ways. We feel both of them bring many talents to the table."
               Bibb, a 6-foot-5 guard/forward, helped Gering High School to the state tournament his junior year. Bibb said that he owes a lot of his success to his family and coaches.
               " i would like to give a special thanks to my parents and my family," he said. "Also I want to say thanks to Coach [Randy] Plummer for everything he has given me and to Jeff Chitwood for being my personal strength coach."
               It wasn't too hard of a decision for Bibb to select WNCC as his college of choice, considering his father, Scott, played for the Cougars in 1988-89 under then head coach Dave "Soupy" Campbell.
               "WNCC was my first choice," Bibb said. "I have been around the program since I was little and I knew I wanted to play here. I know Coach Beck is pretty relaxed during the game and I know he likes to get after it in practice. He is a good coach."
               What Bibb hopes to take from WNCC is a greater knowledge of basketball in his rise to play Division I or II basketball.
               " i would like to play up and get a little better," he said. "I also want to move onto the next level like Division I or Division II."
               He also wants to make an immediate impact.
               "I expect to compete with all the other guys on the court and play up to their level," he said. "I hopefully want to earn a starting spot."
               Even Beck believes Bibb has the work ethic to make that happen.
               "We had an opportunity to watch Zac really to develop over the last few years," he said. "HIs coaches and his dad have done a great job of helping him with his game. He has a great work ethic. i think he is a natural fit as a small forward position. He will need to get stronger as all our guys do when they first come to the program, but Coach Bonner has been a great influence in the weight room.
               "We expect Bibb to be a guy that will show up every single day. He possesses toughness, possesses character, and knows how to work. We know Zac will allow himself to be successful because he will do the right things off the court and he will do the right things in the class room. Those things combined with his hard work will help him propel to his goals and aspirations."
               Bibb is a 3-sport star at Gering, where he participated in football and track and field. Bibb is planning to major in business as well as take welding classes at WNCC.
               Beck also expects Einfeldt to make an impact right away. Einfeldt graduated from Cedar City HIgh School in Cedar City, Utah, back in 2009 and spent one year at Southern Utah University, but didn't play as he went on a Mormon Mission the next year.
               Einfeldt said he is excited at the change to get back on the court.
               "I have been a long time friend with Coach [Yahosh] Bonner and he has kept in touch with me," he said. "He gave me an opportunity to come here and have the chance to play basketball. I am grateful for Coach Beck and Coach Bonner for giving me this opportunity. After looking at some other options and doing my research with Western Nebraska, it looked like a good opportunity to get back in the swing of things."
               The 6-foot guard was a scorer in high school, averaging 17 points, 6.8 rebounds, five assists, and four steals per game. He also shot 87 percent from the free throw line, including making 18 of 19 in a Utah state tournament game.
               Einfeldt also lettered in track, football, and cross country.
               He said he sees himself as a three-dimensional player.
               "The goal for me is to be a three-dimensional player, to be able to drive, shoot and pass," he said. "Right now it is more to be able to shoot more. The thing I am trying to add to my game is being a mid-range jump shooter and get to the rim a little more, as well as be able to knock down the three."
               Einfeldt plans to major in general studies at this time, but hopes to make an immediate impact.
              

No comments: