Friday, March 20, 2009

Saturday is Scleroderma Awareness Day at Cougar softball game with Dawson

It has been about a year since Western Nebraska Community College softball player Brenda Hearn found out she has Scleroderma, a rare skin disorder that affects about 300,000 people in the United States.

While Hearn, A freshman from Tijeras, N.M., has endured living with the rare disease, it has set her playing days back. Hearn came to WNCC to play softball and after playing in the fall and competing with the Cougars in a few games this spring, she has decided that the pain of playing was too much.“In a way it was very difficult to stop playing,” Hearn said. “I have been playing this sport since I was very little. But, at the same time, I knew that I wasn't the same player I once was when I didn’t have Scleroderma. I am very thankful that Coach [Maria] Winn has allowed me to still help out the team.”

Hearn is still helping out with the softball as a student assistant and that is why Coach Winn-Ratliff has elected to have Saturday’s home doubleheader at Volunteer Field with Dawson Community College to be Scleroderma Awareness day. All proceeds from the gate, as well as the concession stand will go to the Scleroderma Foundation. Other donations will also be accepted, as well as WNCC giving away Cougar gear each time a WNCC pitcher strikes someone out. First pitch for the doubleheader is slated for 2 p.m.

“This day means a lot. Scleroderma is rare and most people know nothing about it,” Hearn said.

Scleroderma is basically "hard skin,” Hearn said, which is not cancerous or infectious.

“My body is very sensitive to cold weather,” she said. “I have tried to just forget I have it in order to play sports but I get sores on the tips of my fingers which cause a lot of pain.”

At first Hearn was scared when she learned she had the rare skin disease that affects the nervous system a year ago.


“To be honest, I was scared and sad. I wasn’t sure on what Scleroderma was or what had to be done for it,” she said. “I have a friend back at home that has had it since she was little and I have known some of the things that she has gone through and what she has had to do for it and that just scares me.


“I was very thankful when I found out I had Scleroderma. I gave up on a lot of things that I wanted to do. I stopped looking at schools to play softball at, and my dreams of playing in college were gone once I found out.”


That didn’t stop Winn-Ratliff from recruiting Hearn to play softball at WNCC. She wanted to give her a chance to keep playing. Hearn took that opportunity and tried to play. Finally, the realization set in that the pain was too much.


“I have been doing well this semester,” she said. “Some days are better than others, but I get through it and know that there will be better days.”


Someday, Hearn is hoping there is a cure for Scleroderma.


“Well, my friend [Erin Thomas] is on chemo [with the same disease],” she said. “I know it isn’t a cure but it helps her out a lot. The other thing I know they have looked to is stem cell research.”


In fact, her high school back in New Mexico is also going to host a Scleroderma Foundation day on March 31 during the Mazano High and Highland High softball game. Hearn is a graduate of Mazano, while Thomas is from Highland. Also, Rio Rancho High School is planning to have a Scleroderma day in April.


“It is pretty exciting that all these schools are having awareness days,” Hearn said. “I know it will hit some people close because last year I had to sit out half the year to figure out what I had. The younger girls saw what I was going through and why I was sitting out, so they all understand what these days mean.”


Hearn is sure that Saturday’s awareness day will hit her pretty hard.


“I’m not too sure how emotional Saturday will be,” she said. “I have never had a day like that for me. But for this to be a year since I found out I have it, it might cause some tears to fall, at least for my mom more than me.”


In fact, Hearn’s mom Regina is a driving force to help find a cure.


“It shows me that my mom wants to know everything about it so she can tell me what I should or shouldn’t be doing,” Brenda said. “She wants to find out how to get rid of it, if there was a way.”


Hearn is just appreciative that individuals understand what she is going through.


“I would just like to thank, Coach Winn and Coach Molly [Bonuchi], for everything that they have done for me,” she said. “Also my parents, John and Regina Hearn, my older brother John Bubba Hearn, and my Grandma, Betty Whittet have been there through the tough times trying to figure this all out. Also, thank you to all the girls on the softball team for supporting me when it would get hard. You guys are the best.”

No comments: