Wednesday, April 16, 2008

WNCC's Busma signs to play basketball at Division 1 Idaho State

Devidas Busma didn’t have to worry about how many Division I colleges that wanted the 7-foot post players services. The question that Busma had to worry about was which school among the many that contacted the Western Nebraska Community College was he going to commit to for the next two seasons.

Busma, who averaged eight points and nine rebounds a game for the Cougars last season, had generated interest from Iowa, Iowa State, Rutgers and Nebraska to name a few. In the end, it wasn’t one of those high-profile institutions; it was Idaho State that won his services for the next two years when Busma signed to play for the Bengals this week.

Idaho State recruited me for two years and they had a lot of influence on me. They supported me, found me this school, and kept following me through the whole two years,” Busma said. “They really have a good program and when I went for a visit there, I could see myself there. I thought I could be a real factor in the team and help the team.”

WNCC coach Brian Joyce, who also played basketball for Idaho State in the mid 1990s, said that Idaho State was the better fit, where he could use his talents more so then at a bigger school. Joyce said he had a lot of schools contact him throughout the season about Busma’s services.

“There were a lot of good schools that showed interest in Dave, and obviously he had a solid year for us,” Joyce said. “I think the thing about Dave that I found out is he is very loyal in this school, who helped him come over to the United States and find Western Nebraska. I think when some one shows that much interest in you over a period of time, you start to feel that more comfortable.

“In turn, he is going to play a significant role in the program, where in some other programs he maybe wasn’t seen as such a key player in what they were going to do. I think Dave’s best years are ahead of him. From the time I was fortunate to get this position, and last summer I was able to work with Dave for two or three months over the summer and through the season. He has made tremendous strides.”

Busma joins a Idaho State team that is a member of the Big Sky Conference, which includes the University of Northern Colorado. Last season the Bengals finished 12-19 before falling in the semi-finals to Portland State at the conference tournament.

Busma said that he expects to make a impact, but knows he needs to continue to work hard.

“They said I could be the key player that can take this program to the next level,” he said. “But, I will have to go there and earn a place myself. Take it from there and see what happens.”

Joyce said that he will continue to get better under Idaho State coach Joe O’Brien, who won three NJCAA national titles while at Southeastern Community College. Busma is expected to go to the Pocatello, Idaho, school to take some summer classes and work out with the team.

Busma said Joyce really helped him get better this past season, and said that he will miss the Scottsbluff community.

“I have improved really a lot from last year,” the big man said. “I gained a lot of confidence. My rebounding got better since Coach Joyce came here, and a lot of things changed and I started to progress a lot.

“I will miss the community and the people. The basketball program has been really good to me. I have become a better student and player, and I have gained so much experience for the future. I think this college will be useful for me."

No comments: