Thursday, March 20, 2008

WNCC's Glisan has shooter's touch at national tournament

SALINA, Kan. -- Western Nebraska Community College’s Carly Glisan is definitely feeling the shooting touch at the NJCAA national tournament.

So far, the 6-foot guard/forward from Ft. Collins, Colo., is turning some heads among the four-year coaches in attendance. Glisan, was sitting second among tournament leaders in 3-point shooting after the opening round at 75 percent.

On can say that Glisan definitely has the shooters‘ touch when it comes to 3-point shooting.

“Shooting the 3-pointer is my game. That is what I like to do. I just like shooting it,” Glisan said. “I will shoot it from as far back as I can. I always have been pretty accurate with it and it is my favorite thing to do. I love to shoot the three.

“If I am open on the 3-point line, I am going to shoot it because I have confidence in my shot that it will go in. That is the part of my game that I am confident in.:

Glisan definitely has the shooter’s touch so far in the tournament. In the opening game against Gulf Coast, which the Cougars lost 68-62, Glisan was 3-of-4 from beyond the arc. Glisan was just as accurate in the 84-81 win against Monroe Community College, going 2-for-3. It was her early 3-pointers that helped the Cougars build a 10-point lead in the first half.

“For me, my shot has been there. I have been working on my shot before the tournament and making sure it is there,” she said. “But, really, every bodies shot has been there. Chelsea [Lyles] had some big shots [against Monroe] and Dana [Iverson] had some big threes. The 3-pointer has been an important part of our game.”

The 3-pointer definitely has been a major reason the Cougars are still playing in the NJCAA National Tournament in Salina. The Cougars have tallied 19 3-pointers so far in the tournament, including 11 in the win against 2006 national champions Monroe.

The Cougars also have the best 3-point shooting percentage after the opening round at 42 percent. Lyles is leading the team with nine treys, including six in the win Wednesday night. One of Lyles’ makes came just inside the half court line when she hit a leaner at the buzzer.

“Shooting the three is a big part of our game,” Glisan said. “We have bigger girls and we can play inside or out, and that is a threat to other teams.”

The Cougars will need to stay on top of their game when they resume play in the national tournament on Friday against Walters State Community College, who defeated Lake Region State College 59-54 on Thursday, at noon.

Glisan said they need to continue playing like they have to have a chance of bringing home the consolation trophy.

“We have been playing pretty well down here,” Glisan said. “We have had our episodes where we fall apart for two or three minutes. [Tuesday] that really killed us because two or three minutes is all it took for the other team to get back into it. We have been playing pretty solid except for some episodes.”

Glisan doesn’t want the experience to end just yet, since this is something the Cougar players have been working hard to achieve since falling in last year’s Region IX title game to Casper College.

And, for the sophomores, they want to make a good impression not only for the school, but for the many four-year scouts in the stands. Glisan, though, is not worried about what schools are in the stands, winning is more important.

“Honestly, I have not looked in the stands. It has all been about us and the team,” she said. “I think if one of us starts to do it on our own, then we will fall apart. It is important for me [to win as a team] because I am not trying to be a superstar.”

Glisan has been the glittering star on the court. What she brings to the team is scoring off the bench and an attitude of doing her part for the team. She also brings a sense of not getting rattled by the big-time atmosphere. In fact, Glisan is new to the “national tournament” atmosphere.

As a freshman in high school, her summer league basketball team participated in the AAU National Tournament. She also competed in the Colorado State basketball tournament Final Four for two seasons.

“This tournament is exciting and kind of like a repeat of [my high school career], but much more important,” she said.

WNCC needs to win Friday to have a chance for the consolation title and a 3-1 record at the national tournament. Glisan definitely wants to go out a winner.

“If we lose now, we are done for the year,” she said. “I am not ready to be done yeat. I want to take 7th place and go as far as we can.”

No comments: