Friday, February 22, 2008

Rasnic inks York's Ivey to letter of intent

From the York Times-Herald Website

YORK -- Thursday afternoon York High senior Josh Ivey put pen to paper, signing to play soccer with the Cougars of Western Nebraska Community College in Scottsbluff.

Ivey has been a very solid member of the Duke soccer team for a while now. His current coach Rich Saxer had high praise for him.

"He's one of our strongest players. Last year he was hampered by some injury problems, but if he stays healthy he will be a good college player," Saxer said.

Todd Rasnic, head coach at WNCC is excited about having Josh on the team. He said, "I first heard about him when he sent me a letter asking about the program. Then I asked around and a few of my colleagues recommended him. He really seems like a good fit for us. He has good character and he is the right size physically for our league."

The Cougars are members of the National Junior College Athletic Association and they are a division one team. According to Rasnic they are on the same talent level as an NCAA D2 team.

"Josh is a very good defender," Rasnic said. "Most kids I see are playing defense because they don't have much skill, but Josh is a good defender."

Ivey visited multiple schools in his search this year but he felt that Western was a good fit for him.

"It was snowy and cold when I visited but I could tell it was a nice campus. I think I'll just be there for two years and then I'll probably transfer somewhere," Ivey said. "I'm going to study business management."

Ivey also said that he is going to use his last high school season to build his strength and ability for his upcoming collegiate career.

No comments: