Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Green headed to Alaska-Anchorage to become Seawolves volleyball coach

Western Nebraska Community College volleyball coach Chris Green won a national tournament this season and after nine years at the helm of the Cougar volleyball program, Green has decided now is the right time to head to a four-year college.

Tuesday, Green announced he has been hired at the head coach at the University of Alaska Anchorage, a Division II program.

“This is one of the hardest decisions I have made in along time,” Green said during a press conference that was filled with teary-eyed players, family and friends. “I want to thank WNCC for giving me the opportunity to start my college coaching career. I went up there thinking there was a chance but maybe not realizing that I would like it as much as I did.

“Their volleyball program has struggled the last three years and I am hoping to turn that volleyball program around and make them a Division 2 powerhouse. It is with great sadness that I leave WNCC, but I also think of it as a great opportunity for myself as far as coaching goes.”

Green has built WNCC into a national power since he came aboard in 1999. In his nine years, he has registered a 453-55 record, including nine straight regional titles and national tournament appearances.

This past season, Green guided the Cougars to a 52-4 record and the college’s first national championship with a four-game win over Miami Dade College.

“As an athletic department, we are sad to see Chris go. I think every athletic director hopes for someone of his stature to come into the department that has the moral values that you want on the court as well as in the classroom,” WNCC athletic director Jennifer Pedersen said. “He expects high things for his students and he has absolutely the best group of student-athletes that we can ask for at Western Nebraska Community College. I don’t think you can ask for more in a coach.

“As an administrator, you always have that gut feeling in the back of your mind that these people are going other places because that is what we do in our job to strive and push our kids to be the best they can be, set higher goals and to go other places to live their dreams. So, to hold back my staff from that is wrong for me to do. I am pleased to let him go and was pleased to give him a great recommendation.”

Green said winning the national championship didn’t play a factor in him leaving, he just felt it was the right move in his college career to get a Division I coaching job.

“I would never get tired of winning national championships,” Green said. “I don’t think that is it. I just think the opportunity came at the right time. It is not so much that we won the national championship that I decided to go on, it was just the right opportunity.”

Green informed his players today of the decision and believes they will all stay for the new coach.

“I think I was more upset then they were,” Green said while telling his team. “I am hoping that they understand my situation and they accept it and move on themselves. They have some goals that they have set for themselves. WNCC is a great place to achieve those goals and I am sure whoever the next coach will do a great job. I think this is a great opportunity for any young coach trying to get into the college ranks as a head coach and I think there will be some great applicants and I think the next coach will do a great job.

Pedersen said while a search for a new volleyball coach will begin immediately, assistant coach Amy Winters will step in and continue with weekly practices, conditioning and previously scheduled scrimmages.

WNCC President Dr. Eileen Ely said Green was a credit to the institution.

“Whether it is in the classroom teaching math or whether it is on the court playing volleyball, he has made a real impact on student’s lives that we don’t even know what the total impact is,” she said. “He is going to be leaving a huge void but that is yet a compliment to Chris because he is good at what he does and he puts the right things forward – the priorities are for the students. I just have to compliment him on all of his accomplishments whether it is in the classroom or on the court.

Green will take over a Seawolves team that went 5-19 last season. Of the 11 players on last season's roster, only one was a senior. The Seawolves have compiled a losing record in each of the last three seasons.

”They're Division II and I think the main thing about the Division II level is every team is good," Green said. "In the junior college level we were able to get away with not playing at the top of our game and still get wins because of our talent. Division II is pretty much an equal playing level. It will be more of a challenge. The travel is all flying out of Anchorage and there will be a lot of new challenges for myself that I haven't experienced at WNCC.

"Their program has struggled the last three years and it's a program that needs some leadership."

Green said that Alaska Anchorage would like for him to begin his new duties as soon as possible, but they are flexible in that capacity. He also said he will have the opportunity to teach a few classes in the spring.

Alaska Anchorage Athletic Director Dr. Steve Cobb said they are excited to get a coach of Green’s ability.

“We had over 30 applications and Coach Green was our top choice, so we are obviously very pleased that he is going to lead our program," Cobb said. "The future is bright for Seawolf volleyball."

No comments: