Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Green to take over volleyball coaching job at Alaska Anchorage

Submitted By Jeremy Woznick, Star-Herald Sporte Writer

After putting the Western Nebraska Community College volleyball team squarely on the map as a national power, Chris Green is ready to tackle a new challenge.

Green, who compiled a 453-55 overall record and led the team to nine straight Region IX titles in his nine seasons as the Cougars' coach, announced his resignation on Tuesday at a press conference at WNCC in Scottsbluff to take the head-coaching job at the University of Alaska Anchorage.

"This is one of the hardest decisions I have made in a long time," Green said. "I want to thank WNCC for giving me the opportunity to start my college coaching career. One of my goals is to become a Division I coach and I think this step is a great opportunity. I really enjoyed the visit that I had this weekend and I enjoyed the outdoor environment that is in Alaska. It is very appealing to me and it's one of the reasons I decided to say yes to this opportunity where I have said no to previous others."

Green's tenure at WNCC was capped with the Cougars winning the school's first national championship in November. He guided the program to nine consecutive national tournament appearances and has averaged 50 wins per season. In his last three seasons, he guided WNCC to three Final Fours with the Cougars compiling a record of 163-7 in that span.

"As an athletic department, we are sad to see Chris go," WNCC athletic director Jennifer Pedersen said. "I think every athletic director hopes for someone of his stature to come into the department that has the morale values that you want on the court as well as in the classroom. I don't think you can ask for more in a coach."

Speaking to a room full of media, administration, players, family and friends, an emotional Green said he had a tough time relaying the decision to the team earlier on Tuesday.

"I think I was more upset than they were," Green said. "I am hoping that they understand my situation and they accept it. They have some goals that they have set for themselves. WNCC is a great place to achieve those goals and I am sure whoever the next coach is will do a great job. I think this is a great opportunity for any young coach trying to get into the college ranks as a head coach. I think there will be some great applicants and I think the next coach will do a great job."

Pedersen said WNCC assistant coach Amy Winters will step in and conduct practices, conditioning and scrimmages for the team until Green's job is filled.

"We will do whatever we can to make this transition smooth," Pedersen said. "We are going to try to keep things going and we are definitely going to keep an open line of communication with him because once you are a Cougar, you are always a Cougar."

Only four freshmen from last year's team are scheduled to return next season. The Cougars said goodbye to six sophomores from the championship team. Green believes all of the freshmen will return for their sophomore seasons.

"We have talked to all of our players and I am sure they will stay on and help the Cougars with one more year," Green said. "We have not talked to our recruits yet. So as soon as we are finished with this, we will be calling our recruits and letting them know."

At Division II Alaska Anchorage, Green will take over a Seawolves team that went 5-19 last season. Of the 11 players on last season's roster, only one was a senior.
Since going 13-13 in 2004, the Seawolves have compiled a losing record in each of the last three seasons.

"They're Division II and I think the main thing about the Division II level is every team is good," Green said. "In the junior college level we were able to get away with not playing at the top of our game and still get wins because of our talent. Division II is pretty much an equal playing level. It will be more of a challenge. The travel is all flying out of Anchorage and there will be a lot of new challenges for myself that I haven't experienced at WNCC.

"Their program has struggled the last three years and it's a program that needs some leadership."

Green said that Alaska Anchorage would like for him to begin his new duties as soon as possible. He also said he will have the opportunity to teach a few classes in the spring.

Green earned a bachelor's of science degree in mathematics from the University of Nebraska in 1991 and received his master's degree from the University of Wyoming in 1995.

Alaska Anchorage athletic director Dr. Steve Cobb said Green was at the top of his list of potential candidates for the job.

"We had over 30 applications and Coach Green was our top choice. So we are obviously pleased that he is going to lead our program," Dr. Cobb said. "The future is bright for Seawolf volleyball."

No comments: