Friday, May 03, 2013

Alliance's Olivia Vogel inks with WNCC women's basketball


                Western Nebraska Community College women's basketball coach Dave Harnish added some size and athleticism to the team for the next two years after signing Alliance's Olivia Vogel to a letter of intent Friday afternoon.
                Vogel, a 5-foot-11 wing/post player for the Bulldogs the past four years, said she is excited to continue her basketball playing career.
                "I was surprised [when Harnish called] because I didn't know if I was good enough to play at the college level," Vogel said. "But i was really excited when he wanted me to come here and play because they have a really god team here."
                Vogel said she was considering maybe playing volleyball someplace, but decided basketball was what she liked the most. Before Harnish called, Vogel said she was looking at just attending Chadron State College and get involved in the art program. Things changed after that.
                "I chose WNCC because it was really close and I was offered a scholarship here," she said. "I know WNCC has a really good basketball team, so I figured it would be a good place for me to start off."
                Vogel was a 3-sport athlete at Alliance, playing volleyball and basketball and competing on the track and field team. The Alliance basketball team finished last season at 11-12. Vogel averaged 9 points, 8.1 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.1 blocks a game during her senior season.
                Vogel had a double-double in the district game against McCook, where she finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
                Vogel said she has improved a lot since her freshman year when she practiced against Jordan Hooper, who is now at Nebraska.
                "I didn't even know what a double dribble was my freshman year so I think I have improved a lot," she said. "I got more confident, I drive more, and I shoot more. At WNCC I just hope I can become more of a all-rounded player and try different positions in whatever coach wants me to do. Then, hopefully, go onto a four-year college after this."
                Vogel said she loves to shot from the outside, but at Alliance she had to play the post most of the time because of her height.
                "i actually like to shoot the 3-pointer," she said. "For high school though, I was too big to be out there but maybe next year [at WNCC] I will be able to shoot out there more often."
                Vogel  would like to finish her career at the University of Nebraska Kearney after two years at WNCC.
                Vogel, who plans to major in education and become an art teacher, was also involved in student council, key club, and the health professionals club at Alliance.



No comments: