Friday, May 04, 2012

WNCC Blicharz inks with U. of Colorado-Colorado Springs for soccer


Western Nebraska Community College’s Kristi Blicharz is taking her soccer skills to the next level after signing a letter of intent with the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs on Tuesday.
Blicharz, a forward from Littleton, Colo., said that her goal was to attend UC-CS but wouldn’t have had the change to continue playing after high school if it wasn’t for WNCC coach Todd Rasnic taking a chance on her.
                “I am going to the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs because it is close to home and it has a very good nursing school,” she said. “I am really excited to be playing soccer. I like the coaches a lot and our goal keeper from last year, Jess Taylor, goes there so I am excited to play with her again, as well as a player that I played against in high school, who was at a rival school, but one of my good friends.”
                Blicharz said she is glad this worked out. “Colorado-Colorado Springs was my main focus to begin with. From day one, this is where I wanted to transfer to,” she said. “This was my main focus and we didn’t have to look into anything else because this worked out in my favor.”
                Blicharz had 10 goals as a freshman including back-to-back three goal games in the team’s season openers. This past season, she finished with 10 goals and two assists. Her freshman year she played in just seven matches after sustaining an injury after her two three-goal matches.
                “This was a very good learning experience,” she said. “I got to play with a diverse group of girls from all parts of the world. That was able to show me how soccer is played, not only in America, but other countries where these girls are from. It was a good learning experience.”
                She said that she owes a lot to Rasnic on taking a chance on her after going through a couple surgeries in high school.
                “I have improved significantly,” she said. “Coach Rasnic gave me an opportunity to come here after multiple surgeries in high school. I wasn’t on the top of my game when I came here. Coming here gave me an opportunity to build myself as a player and give me the ability to move on to the next level.”

No comments: