Thursday, May 10, 2012

Maxwell inks with Hampton University


Du’Vaughn Maxwell became the third Western Nebraska Community College men’s basketball player to sign with a NCAA Division I school after the 6-foot-6 sophomore forward inked with Hampton University in Hampton, Va., on Tuesday.

Maxwell, who is from Petersburg, Va., and played one year at High Point University, is excited to be returning home.

“I picked Hampton University from among a couple of other MEAC schools because of the relationship I have with the coaches,” Maxwell said. “Since my sophomore year at St. Petersburg High in Virginia, they were on me. It is a good spot to go to and they have a lot of good players returning.”

Maxwell said he had other options before Hampton came calling. But when he got that phone call, it was an opportunity he couldn’t resist. Hampton was the place he wanted to attend right out of high school, but things didn’t work out at that time.

“I was actually on my Norfolk State visit and one of my high school coaches called and asked me if Hampton offered anything. I told him I haven’t talked to them yet because I was too busy with my studies,” Maxwell said. “When Hampton came into the mix, I knew from the beginning that it was a situation that I wanted to do. It was definitely a situation I wanted to do out of high school, but it just didn’t work out.”

Maxwell becomes the third Cougar from this year's team to move on to the Division I level. Raul Delgado inked with BYU while Marko Kovacevic is headed to Montana University.

WNCC coach Russ Beck said Maxwell should fit in well at the Division I level.

“Du’Vaughn plays with a lot of passion and a lot of energy, and he is a winner,” Beck said. “He was a winner in high school and he had a great season for us this year in helping us win here. He brings a lot of the intangibles to his game, which will be real nice for Hampton. It is hard to find a player with the unique set of skills that Du’Vaughn has. He will have a lot of success there and they are getting a great player.”

Maxwell averaged 17 points and eight rebounds per game for the Cougars last season in helping them to the semifinals of the Region IX Tournament. One of Maxwell’s specialties as a Cougar was dunking. On numerous occasions, he electrified the fans with multiple dunks per game.

Maxwell is eager for the next chapter of his basketball career.

“It is a good opportunity,” he said. “The coaches didn’t promise things like a lot of coaches do throughout the recruiting process. They told me that if I came there and was the player that they knew me to be since my sophomore year, and keep on developing, then we will go places.”

Maxwell said it will be hard to leave WNCC because of all the friendships he made, especially with his teammates.

“It has been like family here,” he said. “I know when I go to Hampton the relationships will build up, but I really can’t replace these guys as teammates because of what we have been through.”

No comments: