Thursday, November 12, 2009

WNCC's Bamforth signs with Division I Weber State

Scott Bamforth has always had the dream of playing at the Division I level and when he came to WNCC in 2007 he worked hard to achieve that goal.

Bamforth officially realized that goal on Wednesday during the early signing period when he inked with Weber State University out of Ogden, Utah. It was a move that he has no regrets with.

“I signed there because I think it is a perfect fit for me,” the 6-foot-2 sophomore from Albuquerque, N.M., said. “I am really excited because it has always been a goal to play Division I. That is why you come to junior college so you get that chance. I was lucky enough to get it and I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I am not looking at it until it gets here. I am looking toward this year.”

WNCC first-year coach Russ Beck said Weber State is a perfect fit for Bamforth.

“Scott is a lock at the Division I level as a player,” he said. “I have known Coach Randy Rahe and his staff at Weber State and I have seen the way they play, and I think it is a very good fit. I think they are as lucky to get him as he is them. It is a tribute to Scott and his hard work so far this season that he has this opportunity. We are looking forward to see what he will do for us this year. It is no greater joy to a coach then to watch the players that have moved on from the program on to the Division I level.”

Weber State lost in the semifinals of the Big Sky Conference last year to Montana State, but still made the NIT tournament before falling to San Diego State. Weber State finished with a 21-10 record and won the Big Sky Conference league title with a 15-1 mark.

Bamforth led the team in scoring last season with over 600 points and 50 made 3-pointers. This season, WNCC coach Russ Beck projects Bamforth to have the same kind of season.

“Scott is the kind of player that can change the outcome of the game. He has some unique abilities to really shoot the basketball at any level, whether it is NBA, college, or high school,” Beck said. “When you shoot the ball the way Scott does, that is a premium. That is the guy you want out on the floor. He is starting to demonstrate his leadership abilities in this young season. When he brings that energy and effort, a lot of guys look to him and they will follow.”

Bamforth seldom has an off night. In fact he has only been held without a point once in his basketball career and that was the season-opening contest Nov. 3 against the College of Eastern Utah. He also learned a lot from that contest and rebounded with an 18-point game against the same team on Nov. 7. Bamforth said he never was held without a point before and it was actually a good thing because he learned a lot about his game.

“That is the first time in my life I didn’t score and not scoring wasn’t in my mind because at the end of the game, I was most mad about the loss and my effort,” he said. “Just watching the film, I knew my effort wasn’t there at all. I know he [coach] seen it and he saw the change from when we played them again. The effort just changed. At the same time I think it was good [that I didn’t score] because it made me realize that I had to try. I felt like I really didn’t try. It has never happened before.”

Bamforth doesn’t try to score; it is just a natural ability. He also puts in countless hours outside of the practice to perfect his scoring ability.

“From the team’s I have been on I have pretty much been the leading scorer, but I have never think about it,” he said. “When I go into a game, it is not like I am going to score this; I think it is the abilities that God gave me that I can score the ball.”

Bamforth came to WNCC in 2007 and red-shirted during the 2007-08 season. He said red-shirting was one of the best decisions that he made.

“ I am very happy I didn’t play my first year,” he said. “It was hard not playing and it was the first time that I not played in a season. At the same time, it was good because I learned a lot of things that I never realized in my life.

Because of that red-shirt season, Bamforth had the option of transferring, especially after former Cougar coach Brian Joyce left in June for Liberty University. But after talking to Beck this summer, he realized the potential for this year’s basketball team and decided to stay for his sophomore season.

“I thought about it seriously because I don’t like change in my life,” he said. “We had a new coach coming in and I didn’t know who it was. After I met him, I got more comfortable. I think we have a chance to be really, really good. We have little things to fix up but I have learned if I control my effort and I care, that is all that matters. We will be fine.”

No comments: