Saturday, November 14, 2009

Three WNCC softball girls sign with four-year colleges

Katelyn Groves, Adena Hagen and Megan Burditt came to Western Nebraska Community College to achieve a goal of playing softball at a four-year institution.

The three sophomores achieved that goal last week after signing letter of intents during the early signing period. Groves and Hagen signed with the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, while Burditt will be attending Northwestern Oklahoma State in Alva.

All three are happy with their future college decisions.

“I am going to Central Missouri because there are a lot of similarities between that program and this one at WNCC in the way they are structured,” Hagen, of Birch Hills, Saskatchewan, Canada, said. “I think coach [Maria] Winn and her coaching staff prepared has prepared me by mentally getting me prepared. I learned a lot about respect by being here.”

Groves said Central Missouri has other factors that played into her selecting that school, which is 20 hours from her home in Bluffdale, Utah.

“I choose to go there because of the coaching staff and the similarities between the two programs,” she said. “They are going to push us the same wy the coaching staff here as. I also like the facilities and the business program they have for my major fits into what I want.”

Burditt was looking at schools back in her home state of New Mexico, but when she visited Northwestern Oklahome, she fell in love with the NAIA institution.

“I chose to go there because of the great academic program they have for my major,” she said. “The coaching style is the same that is here. It will be a good transition for me.”

Burditt said that she never visualized playing at a four-year school after she graduated from Los Alamos High in New Mexico.

“Softballwise I wasn’t there yet,” she said. “I think coming here has boosted my softball skills and got me prepared for the next level. WNCC has helped me extremely and I have improved a lot.”

Hagen said coming to WNCC helped her adjust being away from home and she never gets homesick.

“I don’t really get homesick because the girls do a pretty good job [of being family],” she said. “We are so busy that I don’t have time to think about it. I really enjoyed living with the girls. We are so close; we are like family being so far away from home.”

Groves said that WNCC and the Scottsbluff area has really been special to her.

“I am going to miss the family and not just between the teammates, but between the community, the school and the environment. There is no other place like here. This place really takes you in,” she said. “This area is a home away from home. I am going to miss my dorm families. I am going to miss being able to walk down the halls with people that know who you are and having teachers that actually care. It will be a change.”

All three, however, are glad to get this decision out of the way so they can concentrate on the spring season that starts next semester.

“This is just another decision and it is good to get it out of the way because now I don’t have to worry about what I am going to do after this year,” Groves said. “It is going to be a weight off my shoulders; I can now go out and play and I don’t have to impress anyone. I don’t have to do anything for anybody else except this team.”

Hagen has been the starting the centerfielder for the Cougars the past two seasons. Hagen batted nearly .400 a year ago and flashed both speed and power. Burditt was a spot player last season on the infield and outfield. This past fall, Burditt was the primarily left fielder as well as batting in the lead-off spot.


Groves made the biggest impact a year ago, earning third team NJCAA all-American honors. Groves tied WNCC’s career home run record with 17 and broke the season home run record. She also led the team in RBIs (79), runs scored (77) and batting average (.525) this season. The Cougar softball team finished last season 42-18 and as Region IX conference co-champions.

All three are looking to lead the Cougar team to even a better season this year.

“I think we will have a great season this year,” Burditt said. “We have great things in our future.”

Groves encore from a stellar freshman season isn’t individually driven. Groves doesn’t care about the individual accolades she has, she wants the team to succeed.

“You can break all the individual records you want, but nobody will remember you if you don’t win a championship, and that is what I want,” she said. “That is my goal, a regional championship. Without that nothing else matters.”

No comments: