Monday, December 22, 2008

WNCC's Melo signs Kearney Catholic's Hoehn to letter of intent

Western Nebraska Community College volleyball coach Giovana Melo takes one look at Kearney Catholic’s Emily Hoehn and sees a little bit of herself in volleyball talent and passion for the sport.

Last week, Hoehn made it official signing a little of intent to play for the Cougars for the next two seasons, as a bright-eyed Melo looked on.

“She is a fireball,Melo said of the first recruit she has signed. “The first time I put my eyes into her, I knew she was exactly what we needed. She is the type of player I like. She plays with intensity and has fun at the same time.”

Hoehn, a 5-foot-4 libero, had a stellar volleyball career at Kearney Catholic. Last season, the Stars finished 25-5 before losing in the first-round of the state C-1 tournament. She was the Lincoln Journal Star and Omaha World Herald honorable mention all-state, and first team all-conference.

Melo couldn’t be happier with signing Hoehn, someone that she wanted ever since she saw her play this summer.

I think recruiting could be the most rewarding but yet stressful part of coaching,” Melo said. “You get to pick the kids you want for your program but not every time you get the ones you want so when you do, it is exciting.”

Hoehn definitely was someone that Melo wanted, especially since the Cougars lost first team NJCC all-American libero, Nayka Benitez, who is set to graduate in May. Hoehn is someone that Melo thinks can step in to that libero position after finishing last season with 356 digs and 30 aces.

Nicole [Gonzales, WNCC assistant coach] went to watch the Nebraska top 10 volleyball tournament in Kearney during the summer and that was where we saw her,” Melo said. “She fits perfectly with this program and the girls. Like I said, I love her enthusiasm and athleticism. As a coach, that is something you can’t teach. She is pretty funny and intelligent. She will be perfect here.”

Hoehn is excited to be joining a Cougar team that won a national title two years ago and finished third this past season with a school record 59 wins.

Coming to WNCC means I will be playing with players as hungry as I am for a National Title,” Hoehn said. “I am very anxious to play on the next level of volleyball with a nationally-ranked team.”

Hoehn wasn’t only looking at WNCC to attend. She also was interested in Doane College, Kansas Wesleyan, Hastings College and Simpson College. WNCC, however won out because of the volleyball passion the Melo brings to the court.

“I decided on WNCC because of the passion the coaches and players showed for the game of volleyball,” she said. “I also enjoyed the facilities and the proximity to family.”

Hoehn also played basketball and soccer at Kearney Catholic, but said that volleyball is what she loves the most.

“I love volleyball,” she said. “For me, there isn't a better feeling than being on the volleyball court and leaving everything you have there.

Hoehn is the second player from Kearney Catholic to play for the Cougars. Lyndsey Finney, who was an NJCAA first team All-American her sophomore year, played for the Cougars in 1999 and 2000. Hoehn would love to follow in the footsteps of Finney.

Lyndsey Finney had an amazing career and I hope to reach the same level of recognition she received,” Hoehn said. “I would like to play on a Region IX championship team as well as a National championship team for the next two years. I hope to also build a strong educational foundation which I can use to further my education at a 4-year school.”
Hoehn will be stepping into some big shoes next year, following in the footsteps of two all-American liberos the last four years in Benitez and Bianca Rivera. Rivera played for the Cougars in 2005 and 2006 and just finished her eligibility at Creighton. Benitez verbally committed to Creighton this month.

Hoehn is up for the challenge and is ready for the new adventure.

“I feel that WNCC is a good fit for me because of the small campus,” she said. “I also like the family-like atmosphere.”

Hoehn plans to major in biology, but that could change. She also loves to read, play the piano, do scrapbooking and play the wii.

No comments: