Tuesday, December 02, 2008

WNCC's Balza verbally committs to Penn State

Fatima Balza had a big decision to ponder during her sophomore season at Western Nebraska Community College and that dealt with where she would continue playing after this year.

It definitely wasn’t easy as some of the top four-year schools were trying to land the 6-foot-3 middle hitter, including No. 1 ranked and defending national champions Penn State, the University of Wisconsin, and also Nebraska.

Last week, Balza put an end to all the speculation by verbally committing to one of the top schools in the Big 10 and the nation, by selecting the Penn State Nittany Lions as her choice of schools for the next two years.
She won’t officially sign her letter of intent until next year with the defending national champions, but she said she is excited to be joining a team that is rich in volleyball tradition like the one she played for at WNCC.

“I choice Penn State because I really enjoyed the visit; and I loved the university and loved the volleyball program. I pretty much liked everything there,” she said. “Of course there will be some pressure going to a team that is No. 1 in the country. They are having a really good season and they haven’t dropped one game or one match and there will be big pressure but I think I can do it. It won’t be easy. It will be hard for me and I will work hard.”

Balza said it was not an easy decision in choosing between Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. But, she said, she is glad it is over.

“The decision was between the University of Wisconsin and Penn State,” she said. “Right after nationals, the University of Nebraska contacted me but it was way too late and I told them my decision was already made.

“It was not an easy decision, however. When they [Penn State] called me, I was excited about it, but I was thinking it wouldn’t be easy. It is a huge school with a really good volleyball program, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to play there. But I think I can do it. I just have to try. I am not sure I am going to play all the time, but it is a really big goal for me to play at that high level. I want to try.”

Penn State has been a power in volleyball for quite a while, capturing the national championship last year in NCAA Division I. This season they are 32-0 and haven’t dropped a set. Penn State will open NCAA tournament regional play this weekend hosting Long Island, Yale and Ohio.

WNCC coach Giovana Melo said Penn State is a good fit for Balza, who has been the mainstay for the Cougar team the past two seasons, where Balza helped compile an overall record of 115-6.

“I think it is a perfect fit for her,” Melo, who played Division I volleyball at Arizona State, said. “I think she was working really hard to go to a good program. She has worked hard last year and I think she has worked harder this year. She deserves it.”

Last season Balza led the Cougars to the NJCAA national title as the team finished 56-2 on the season. This year, the Cougars won a school record 59 matches and finished third at the national tournament, topping No. 1 ranked Iowa Western Community College in five sets.

Balza has definitely made a name for herself at WNCC in two seasons. The 6-foot-3 middle hitter finished her two years at WNCC as only one of eight players to notch over 1,000 kills in her career. Balza had 1,055 total kills, including a team-leading 632 this season.

Balza also led this year’s team in service points, finishing with 375 points, including 64 aces. She had a service percentage of 90 percent. Balza also had 227 total blocks, which was second overall in the record book, just behind Silvia Oliveria’s 433 blocks back in the 2000-01 seasons. She also finished this season with 57 solo blocks.

Balza also finished this season with 152 digs and had a hitting percentage of .466.

Melo said Balza really shined on and off the court as a leader.
“I think she was a huge reason why we got to where we did,” Melo said. “She was our leader. She took the girls in her arms, especially the freshmen, and showed them how it is done and she did a real good job of it. I think she was a huge reason why we got to where we did.”

And, she accomplished all this by working hard, especially since she had to adjust to a new coach this past season.

“I have improved a lot from last year to this year. I have improved my skills in everything,” Balza said. “I am really happy with this season. I am really happy with my team and with the job we did at nationals. We didn’t win the national championship, but I am happy with third place. I am also happy with my coaches and just with everything. I really enjoyed my season.”

Melo expects Balza to continue working hard next year at Penn State. “She has a great work ethic. She works hard for what she wants,” she said. “She knows it won’t be easy. She will have to get up there and work hard for her position to play. We are proud of her, especially going to Penn State, the No. 1 team in the nation. It is a good accomplishment for her.”

Balza said she will do her best at Penn State next season. “I am really excited to be going there, but I know it won’t be easy for me. It is completely a different level of volleyball,” she said. “But, I am glad to have been here for two years at this college. I will try to do my best at Penn State.”

No comments: