Monday, July 02, 2007

Pexton receives degree in just one year

Not too many students graduate from a community college straight out of high school in just one year. But, Western Nebraska Community College freshman Jessica Pexton did just that while also competing on the Cougar softball team this past year. Pexton earned her associate's degree in physical therapy this past May.

"It was kind of surprised me [to get an associate's degree], but I knew I had a lot of credits coming in," Pexton said. "I didn't know you needed just 60 credits to graduate. So, I said OK I will graduate."

Pexton's academic achievements continued to shine, though, has she earned Region IX academic honors, while missing NJCAA Academic All-American status by a sliver of a point. The NJCAA academic teams were released last week and Pexton finished with a cumulative GPA of 3.5.

Pexton, who graduated fro Douglas, Wyo., High School in 2006, also helped the softball team post the highest grade point average among all Cougar teams for a third straight year.

What helped Pexton achieve her early associate's degree in just one year at WNCC is the fact she had 30 hours of college credit coming in. Pexton took dual credit classes from Eastern Wyoming College while attending Douglas.

"It was a little bit harder [to take them in high school], but I wanted to take all my science classes, like chemistry and biology, and trig," she said. "It was hard in a way, but it was easier then me taking it in college."

Pexton took her first college class in high school during her junior year, which was a computer class. She took the rest of her 30 college credits at Douglas her senior year.

On top of her studies at Douglas, Pexton was active athletically. Pexton played volleyball and softball, and was the student manager for basketball.

"I decided to take dual credit hours in high school just to get them out of the way so I could come into college as a sophomore academically," she said. "In high school I didn't really study that much. So, in college I had to study a little bit more. I really didn't think college was that much harder."

Well, Pexton continued her academic and athletic success at WNCC this past year while pitching for the Cougar softball team. What she accomplished was help lead the softball team to one of their best seasons at 36-21 and a runner-up finish in the Region IX.

Academically, she earned Region IX academic honors., and just missed national honors by finishing with a 3.5 GPA.

"I would have liked to have all A's this semester," Pexton said, "but one class I didn't do well."

Still, to come into college fresh out of high school and accomplish what she did is remarkable. And, Pexton is planning on returning for a second year to get a second associate's degree in business.

The main reason she is returning is because of the friendships she has formed with this year's softball team.

"It was a hard choice to come back because I didn't know if all my credits [from the two years] would transfer," she said. "But I like being on the softball team because I like the girls."

When Pexton first attended WNCC I August 2006, she was a raw pitcher. In just one year, she has blossomed into pretty good pitcher.

The right-handed flame-thrower finished the season with a 15-8 record and a 4.24 earned run average. She struck out 68 (3.13 per game) in 152 innings of work. Pexton started the softball season with a complete game 1-0 shutout against Frank Phillips College, where she struck out five and allowed just one hit.

She finished off the season in grand style, sparking the Cougars at the Region IX tournament, where she went 3-1 in 22.67 innings of work.

"I think I have improved quite a bit like in my batting and my mental approach," she said. "I am more stronger. You can tell how much I improved from the beginning of the year to the end of the year."

She also provided some pop in her bat, finishing with a .375 batting average. While she didn't see a lot of time at the plate, she did spark the team in a game against McCook Community College when she delivered a 2-run home run, which was only her second of her career over the fence.

"I made good friends while playing softball here," she said. " I like it here and I like coach [Maria] Winn, too."

After next year, Pexton will be transferring to another college with hopes of playing softball. For now, though, she is continuing her softball skills with the Ft. Collins Starz softball team this summer.

She highly recommends high school students to take dual credit classes just like she did at Douglas.

"I would recommend high school students taking dual credit hours because it helps a lot and it is actually easier in the long run," she said. "Then, once you get into college, you can just worry about the basics, or classes for your major, your freshman year."

No comments: