Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Former Gering, WNCC basketball player Woods signs with Rogers State University in Oklahoma

Gering’s Yoda Woods played just one season Western Nebraska Community College before sitting out last season because she thought she was burned out of basketball.

It turned out she really missed playing the game and a few phone calls from collegiate coaches recently renewed her passion for the game.

“At first I was kind of shocked when (the coaches called) because it was out of the blue,” she said. “I made my decision that I was going to go to nursing school in Omaha and as soon as the (coaches) called me, I knew I missed (playing basketball) and I was going to play again.”

Woods change of heart led her to lace up her basketball shoes once again for Rogers State University in Claremore, Okla., a NAIA school that will field their first-ever women’s basketball team.

“I haven’t played in a year and I really missed it a lot,” Woods said. “I went to a visit to Eckerd College in Florida and I liked it a lot, but they didn’t have what I wanted to do. Then I went to Oklahoma and they have a really good nursing program.”

Woods is going into Rogers State thankful for getting another opportunity to play a sport she loves.

“After playing here and after my knee injury, I just kind of gave up on basketball,” Woods said. “I didn’t know if I was going to play again but I did miss it and playing again was always in the back of my head. I knew if I got another opportunity I was going to take it. Thankfully I got another opportunity.”

Rogers
State head coach Amy Williams recruited Woods out of high school while Williams was an assistant coach at Oklahoma State.

Williams also has plenty of ties to Nebraska having served as an assistant coach at the University of Nebraska-Kearney, after playing four years with Brooke Schwartz at the University of Nebraska. Williams’ assistant coach is Mike Wells, a former Cougar men’s and women’s assistant coach.

Woods will be entering Rogers State as a junior, but will have three years of athletic eligibility remaining. Woods, who started 22 of 35 games for WNCC two seasons ago helping the Cougars to a 31-4 record, averaged eight points and five rebounds a game. At Gering, Woods was the Star-Herald player of the year as a senior while averaging double figures in scoring and rebounding.

Williams is looking for big things from Woods next season. “She told me that since I am coming from a JUCO, that I will be playing a big role and I should get a lot of playing time,” Woods said. “They recruited some freshman, but she wanted some players with more [college] experience. She said I will be a very good fit and she thinks I will be a good leader on the team.”

Rogers
State will play teams mostly in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. The closest the Hillcats will come to the Panhandle will be Nov. 16-17 when they travel to play in a tournament in Salina, Kan.

The Rogers State fielded baseball and softball teams this past spring with men’s and women’s basketball starting in the fall. They will also add soccer and golf teams in the coming years. When Woods visited Rogers State, she saw first-hand the improvements the school is making.

“The school has a lot to offer. They have $100 million in renovations,” she said. “This is the very first program they have had for basketball and I thought it would be exciting to be the first on their team. It is a starting point for a good career. I don’t know how good they will be, but I think it is really cool to be a part of a first team. I am looking forward to this opportunity and hope I can make the best out of it.”

No comments: