Saturday, April 07, 2007

Huntington, Merkey sign with WNCC women's soccer

Huntington, Merkey sign with WNCC soccer

Western Nebraska Community College women’s soccer coach Todd Rasnic will be adding more talent to next year’s team after signing two soccer players recently.

Lara Merkey of Windsor, Colo., and Terri Huntington, of Bluffdale, Utah, are two of the first signings for Rasnic for next year with more signings announced next week.

Both players bring plenty of soccer experience to the Cougar soccer program, which went 6-8 last season in its first season back after being suspended for a season.

Huntington comes to the Cougars from Riverton High in Utah, where she was first team all-region her junior year and second team all-state as a goalkeeper. Huntington, a 5-foot-8 3-sport star, decided to come to WNCC because of three reasons.

“It sounded like they have a good nursing program and will have a good soccer team. Also, my best friend [Kiwi Wiegert] plays there,” she said. “I am hoping to become a better keeper and have a fun time as I get closer to my degree.”

Merkley also brings plenty of soccer talent to the team. Merkey, who also ran track and field at Windsor High, lettered four years in soccer and double lettered in both soccer and track for two seasons. Merkey, who is just 5-1 and plays defense, was also looking at the University of Northern Colorado.

“I really liked the coach and was offered a scholarship to play,” she said. “It will also get me to where eI want to be in two years.”

Merkey, who is planning on majoring in journalism, said one of the reasons she choice WNCC was because of the friendliness of all the people at WNCC.

“The campus is really nice and the gym is amazing,” she said. “The weight room is also very nice, and I also enjoyed looking at the future field I will be playing on.”

Merkey had many highlights during her playing days for Windsor, including being the only freshman on the varsity team to letter.

“I was also one of the captains this year and I will remember the girls I have played with,” she said. “Also, I remember being in the newspaper at least once every year for games against Greeley West.”

Huntington also had many highlights including getting a chance to play the field in some games besides being in net.

“I always loved to play field when our team would get up enough to let me out of goal,” she said. “We were playing a team that wasn’t good so I was able to play field and everyone always thought it was cool when I would get close to scoring because I was a keeper. Well, we had a penalty kick and I got to take it. As the referee sat the ball down, he put it in a hole. I didn’t know I could move it so I didn’t think much more about the ball, just where I was going to shoot it and how to play the little tricks on the keeper. Everyone was ready and as I go to kick it, I tripped on the ball and it didn’t go anywhere but a few inches.”

Huntington was stellar in net helping the Silverwolves to a 10-7 before falling in the first round of the 5A state tournament last fall.

More women’s soccer signings will be announced in the coming weeks.

No comments: