Monday, January 16, 2012

Gering's Morgan Broussard will play volleyball for WNCC

   It didn’t take Morgan Broussard long to realize how much she was going to miss volleyball after the Gering team was eliminated at the state tournament.
“I wasn’t expecting playing sports in college because I was thinking I needed a break. It is easy to say that when you are so involved but when it is over, it is over. I miss it and I had to keep going,” Broussard said. “It really hit me after we got done playing [at state] and I went with my parents to watch some other games and since I was done and just watching, I was thinking I will never be able to do this again. So, I texted Coach Gi saying I miss it and I want to play. I am ready for the challenge. It will not be easy but that is part of the job.”
Broussard didn’t have to go far to find a school that wanted her talents on the volleyball court as she officially choose Western Nebraska Community College to continue her playing days.
“I knew after my volleyball career was over, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity of playing with such an elite program,” she said. “It should be a great experience. We have the same mentality and that is to win. I am looking forward to extending my volleyball career with the Cougars.”
Broussard is following in the footsteps of her cousin, Sierra Schmidt, who played for the Cougars and won a national championship in 2010. She is hoping to accomplish the same things that Sierra achieved.
“Sierra went thought the program and just seeing [what she did] is just cool that you get a chance to be on a national championship team. It will be a great experience for me,” Broussard said. “Also, just seeing all the pictures on Facebook of them at nationals is something I would love to have that experience and be with all the coaches and girls. It will be a great time.”
WNCC coach Giovana Melo said Broussard will be a setter for the Cougars next season and is excited to get someone of her athletic ability.
“I love the fact she is extremely competitive,” Melo said. “She is very athletic. I told her that it is great when you have an athlete that can play many sports and I am happy that she likes volleyball enough to come play for us. I think she brings a lot. She has a really fun personality and she gets along with the girls. She will fit perfectly in with our program.”
Broussard was a 3-year starter for the Bulldogs in helping them to back-to-back district championships. Broussard was all-conference and honorable mention all-state. Broussard finished her season with 57 aces, 510 set assists, 121 solo blocks, 260 kills, and 348 digs.
Gering coach Craig Schadwinkel said it is a perfect fit for Broussard and WNCC.
“Coach Gi, I wish you the best with one of our Gering products,” Schadwinkel said. “I don’t think you could have found a better person or athlete to join your program. It is exciting that we get to have her around for two more years.”
Broussard said it wasn’t hard to choose volleyball over her other two high school sports of basketball and track and field.
“I like the other sports, but I don’t have the love for basketball and track like I do for volleyball,” she said. “That is what made it easier because I love the game so much. I have been around it all my life. My sister [Dusty] played for Coach Schadwinkel at Lake Minatare when I was 2. I was practically born with a volleyball in my hand.”
The hardest part Broussard will face next year is not playing alongside her friends. But, she is ready to make new friends and start a new chapter in her life.
“Our group of girls has been together for so long,” she said. “I have been around this game my whole life and it will be hard to let it go with this group of girls. But you have to set a new chapter in your story so that is what I am planning on doing.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very AWESOME Morgan!!! This is a wonderful accomplishment and one you will treasurer forever! Enjoy it! I know your parents & family are so very proud of you!

From,
Wilson's :)