Thursday, June 23, 2011

WNCC men's basketball signs 6-10 Cody Johnson


                Western Nebraska Community College men’s basketball coach Russ Beck is adding some beef the roster with his latest signing of Cody Johnson of Salt Lake City, Utah.
                Johnson, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound center, has been referred to one of the most under-rated big man in the state of Utah during his high school playing days. Johnson, visited the WNCC campus on Wednesday and signed his letter of intent that same day, said WNCC has a lot to offer in his quest to play NCAA Division I basketball.
                “I loved the coaching staff and the campus was perfect of what I am trying to do,” he said. “I liked the small town and I liked how the city supports the basketball team.”
                Johnson played last year at Air Force Prep where he developed into an all-around player from the inside and outside, averaging a double-double for the Huskies last season. But, he decided that the prep school wasn’t for him. Besides WNCC, Johnson also had interest from Division I schools Utah, Weber State and St. Mary’s.
                Johnson’s decision to attend WNCC ended up being a pretty simple one considering that he has family in the area. His sister, Jamie, is on the Equestrian team at Laramie County Community College, and his mom lives in Sheridan, Wyo. Plus, the fact that WNCC coach Beck is originally from Utah helps with that family feel.
                “The coach is from Utah and my family is pretty close and they all support me pretty well,” he said. “My sister is in Cheyenne right now going to school, so she is pretty close.”
                Johnson spent his middle school years in northern Wyoming before playing his high school years in Utah. He played three years at Juan Diego, a small catholic school, and then his senior season at Alta, where they won the 5A state title last season. He was second team all-state his senior year.
                Johnson said his senior season went OK, considering he was still coming back from a knee injury he suffered his junior year.
                “I played OK considering I was injured and had knee surgery my junior year, which I wasn’t fully healed going into my senior year,” he said. “I started, but nothing every clicked and then the academy gave me a shot and I took it. I then really developed into a pretty good player.”
                His goal at WNCC is to improve and move onto a Division I program. He also wants to bring a national title to the college.
                “The main goal is a national title which I think, if we come in and really work together as a team, we can accomplish,” he said. “I won 5A state in high school which was a good feeling, one of the better feelings that I had, and I just want to create that feeling here.
                “The main reason I am here is to play basketball and to further expose myself to college coaches and move onto a DI program.”
                In high school, he was primarily an inside player, averaging five points and six rebounds a game. He also had a double-double his senior season at Alta of 14 points and 14 rebounds. At Air Force Prep, he said he widened his game, knocking down about 20 3-pointers.
                “I play big, but I also can shoot the ball and drive from the outside,” he said. “I am a diverse player. I had around 20 threes last season.”
                Johnson is looking to get into physical therapy and also major in psychology. Outside of basketball, he loves to golf, fish with his day to get away from the grind of basketball, and just relax.
                Johnson is the eighth incoming players that Beck has signed for next year. The others include Du’Vaughn Maxwell, 6-7, 210 from Petersburg, Virg.; Marcus Johnson, 6-10, 235 of Grantsville, Utah; Tahir Little, 5-10, 175 of Richmond, Virg.; Mason Smith, 6-5, 175 from Alpine, Utah; Sebastian Suarez Garcia, 6-4, 210 of Ancud, Chili; and Raaquim Brown, 6-9, 225, and Cal McCoy, 5-9, 180 of Omaha Benson High School out of Omaha.



No comments: