Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WNCC's Pinto signs with Oregon State

                Western Nebraska Community College’s Thais Pinto never had dreams of playing sports in college before coming to the United States.
Now, after two years at WNCC, the 6-foot-7 center will get to showcase her basketball talents at Oregon State University after signing a letter of intent.
                “I chose Oregon State because I feel very comfortable with the school's environment,” Pinto said. “Also, I felt very welcomed when I visited. I'm very excited to come there because I feel that Oregon State will send me in the right path with my major, as well as athletics.”
                Pinto is the tallest player ever to compete in Oregon State women’s basketball history and ties for the second tallest player to ever compete in Pacific 10 Conference history. Oregon State coach Scott Rueck is excited to sign the WNCC center.
                “I am excited to announce the addition of Thais Pinto to this year’s recruiting class,’ Rueck said in a press release. “She is a talented and experienced international student-athlete with a bright and charming personality that will fit our program perfectly. To go along with her height, she is a gifted athlete, has great hands and a mature feel for the game. As is true with our previous signees, we expect Thais to have an immediate impact on our program. She is one more reason we’re excited about our future.”
                Pinto said she had several colleges that made contact with her, including University of Southern California, Kansas and Austin Paey, but decided to be a Beaver over a Trojan.
                Pinto, from Belo Horizonte, Brazil, led the country in field goal percentage last season, converting 68 percent of her attempts (100-148) to average 11.0 points per game, adding 5.9 rebounds and 1.2 blocked shots over 20 games played.
                Pinto is entering an Oregon State team that is on a rebuilding mission. Last season the Beavers went 9-21 and won just two games during the second semester. The Beavers have a very young squad returning with just one senior.
Pinto hopes she is ready for the Division I level.
                “I really don’t know if I am ready for the next level,” she said. “I think that I have to work hard and develop some abilities that I don’t have. With all my effort, I will be prepared to play.”
                Pinto said before she came to WNCC, she had plans to just study in Brazil, but the opportunity to play in the states piqued her interest in the sport. She also played volleyball in Brazil. Pinto will graduate with an associate’s degree from WNCC on Saturday. She said she holds many memories from her two years in Scottsbluff.
                “My two years was great,” she said. “My first year was very difficult for me because I didn’t know English well. But a lot of people helped me during this time. The second year was amazing. The team was good and I could understand what coach Harnish was saying. I have some of the great memories here. I want to say thank you to coach Harnish and WNCC for all support during these two years. I will miss all teachers, coaches and friends.”
               

No comments: