Tuesday, July 06, 2010

UNC basketball player becomes WNCC's new assistant men's coach

Yahosh Bonner was known for his defense at the University of Northern Colorado. Now he will bring that defensive energy to the sidelines of Western Nebraska Community College to serve as an assistant coach for the Cougar men’s basketball team.

Bonner played two seasons at UNC where he captured the Big Sky Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors as well as CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Defensive All-American. Bonner played one year at Salt Lake Community College under Coach Beck (2006-07) helping the Bruins to the national tournament.

Bonner, who will also serve as a residence life director at Conestoga Hall, is excited to bring his energy for the game to Cougar Palace.

“I hope to bring a lot of energy to every practice and I hope that will carry on to the games and to the court,” he said. “I want the guys to really step it up in the defensive game. Before I went to college, my defense was OK. But once I got to college, I was coached by coaches that really focused on defense and I want to be one of those coaches that reward our players for playing great defense. They should take pride in that.”

WNCC men’s coach Russ Beck said Bonner will be a positive for WNCC.

“We are very fortunate to add Yahosh and Vanessa Bonner to our WNCC Cougar family. I had the opportunity of coaching Yahosh at Salt Lake Community College and he was an integral part of a historic season,” he said. “That team went 32-4 and made it all the way to the NJCAA National Championship before falling to South Plains CC. On the court he was a tenacious defender. His defensive abilities earned him Big Sky defensive player of the year honors this past season as he helped another team, Northern Colorado, to a historic season as they finished 25-8.

“Yahosh has been a huge contributor to success everywhere he has been. He is the ultimate team player and his passion and energy has helped foster a culture of winning; we expect that trend will continue as he steps into the coaching ranks here at WNCC.”

Bonner started every game for UNC last season in helping them to their best season ever. UNC qualified for the CollegeInsider.com Postseason tournament (CIT) where they defeated Portland, before falling to Pacific.

As a senior captain, Bonner averaged 27 minutes playing time and six points a game. His defense was his bread and butter, where he finished with 41 steals.

“We were the most winningest team that University of Northern Colorado has had,” Bonner said. “We finished second in the conference and had a great year. I was the defensive player of the year for the Big Sky Conference, and was a mid-major all-American for defensive. We had another guy on our team that was all-conference and a couple of other guys that went on to play professionally. So, we had some good players and had a real good season.”

Bonner, who played at Mountain View High in Mesa, Ariz., is looking forward to beginning a different chapter in his life as part of Beck’s coaching staff.

“I am really excited about being a part of Western Nebraska community college family,” he said. “When Coach Beck called me and said he would love to have me on staff, I was sold because I know what kind of person he is and what kind of coach he is. He has a very high basketball IQ and it will be a good situation for me to start my coaching career.”

Bonner, who started playing basketball when he was eight, said that running the offense as a point guard is like coaching.

“I did some coaching on the floor as a point guard,” he said. “Being a coach here, I think I can really focus on helping other people be better and helping improve the program. Basically I am excited to be learning from coach Beck and the game of basketball.”

Bonner said that from what he has heard about next year’s team, he expects them to compete for a regional title.

“Coach Beck is really excited about the players that we have coming in. He said not only are they good athletes, but they are great people,” he said. “He said he wants to bring players in that are good people, who are going to succeed here not just athletically but academically. I am excited to have some good guys on the team that are working for that central goal and not having selfish players.”

Beck said that Bonner is a good fit for Cougar basketball and WNCC as a whole.

“Coach Bonner brings an incredible work ethic and possesses a very high basketball IQ,” Beck said. “He carries himself with the upmost integrity and treats others with respect. I expect that he will really help with the development of our guards and I hope that his passion and desire to win will rub off onto our players.

“His attitude is contagious and he no doubt will assist in helping this team get back to “Hutch”.” He will be responsible for player development, study hall, recruiting and weights and conditioning . In addition to his coaching duties he will be serving in student housing as the Conestoga Hall Housing Director.”

Yahosh and his wife, Vanessa, are expecting their first child in August, a boy. He said the first couple of months will be hard with a new job and baby coming, but he is ready.

“It will be busy for me coming up,” he said. “But I am looking forward to that challenge. I will be doing things I like.”

Yahosh’s hobby is singing and he even tried out for American Idol, where he made the first cut in auditions before getting cut in the second round. Yahosh said while he loves to sing, his first love is basketball.

“For know I am taking coaching step by step,” he said. “I just want to be a part of a winning program and part my knowledge and energy to the players. What is important to me is to see improvement in my players and build those lifelong relationships with my athletes. While I like singing, basketball is still up there because I love basketball. Singing is a hobby, but basketball is a love.”

No comments: