Monday, June 14, 2010

Groves named NFCA first team all-American

Western Nebraska Community College's Katie Groves had an impressive sophomore season this past spring and because of her success, the Cougar infielder was recognized by the other junior college coaches by being named to as a Louisville Slugger National Fastpitch Coaches Association First Team All-American.

Groves is the school's first two-time softball all-American. The Cougar firstbaseman helped the Cougars to the national tournament this past season and a 43-21 season record. Groves was humbled by the honor.

"To be named to the NFCA first team all-American list is a huge honor," the Bluffdale, Utah, native said. "It is an honor especially since I am being recognized by other coaches around the country for what I have accomplished at WNCC."
The NFCA all-American list is voted on by the two-year coaches and the coaches noticed what Groves accomplished during her sophomore season at WNCC. Groves, who will be attending Central Missouri State next year, couldn't have asked for a better two years.

"Looking back on my time at WNCC I think it went pretty well," Groves said. "The only way it could have went better is with two trips to the national tourney. Still, I had an amazing experience at WNCC and I contribute that to my coaches, my teammates, and the people in the community.

"The coaches at WNCC truly care about the success of their athletes both on the field and in the classroom. The community takes the time to appreciate what athletes do and some of them took me in. I met some amazing people in Scottsbluff and Gering that I will never forget."

Groves finished her sophomore season as one of the best in the nation, hitting .492 on the year. She also led the team in RBIs (86), runs scored (89), home runs (15), hits (97), and singles (56). In her two seasons at WNCC, Groves finished with 32 home runs, 166 runs scored, 165 RBIs, 193 hits, 118 singles and 35 doubles.

As a freshman, Groves was named Region IX freshman of the year and was a NJCAA third team all-American and a third team NFCA third-team pick. Groves becomes the school's first two-time softball all-American selection after being named to the NFCA first team earlier this month.

Groves is joined on the first team by 15 talented players. Also making the NFCA first team include pitchers Erika Bennett, Miami Dade College, Kelsey Dennis, Wallace State-Hanceville, and Hope Bitzer, Seminole State-Florida; catchers Cyd Allen of Salt Lake Community College and Melina Trujilo of Pima Community College; infielders Sienna Miller of Navarro Community College, Jamie Holmes of Crowder Community College, Saige Wright of Wallace State, Katie Campbell of Seminole State, and Kaity Ingram of Pima Community College; outfielders Veronika Fukunishi of Miami Dade, Katie Pierce of Wallace State; Erika James of Salt Lake, Jessica Soria of Arizona Western College, and designated player Gabby Hernandez of Midland College.

Groves said her coaches and the Scottsbluff-Gering community can share in the honor.

"Coach Maria Winn took a chance on me and honestly I have to give a lot of credit to the coaching staff for my success," she said. "They provided me with all the tools I needed to succeed. I can't tell you how many hours I spent with Coach Molly [Bonuchi] and taking extra cuts after practice. They saw my drive and willingness to work hard and helped me every step of the way to make the work a little easier."
Groves said she found a second home in Scottsbluff.

"Attending WNCC was one of the best decisions I could have made," she said. "Coach Winn took a chance on me when no one else wanted me and for that I will always be grateful. The people of Scottsbluff and Gering, the WNCC community, and my teammates made the past two years of my life very special. I will never forget the friends I have made, and the new family I have in Nebraska.
Groves will continue her collegiate playing days at the University of Central Missouri with hopes of bringing the same success to their softball program.

"My goal at UCM is to obtain my bachelors degree in marketing, but other than that, my goals are the same as they were at WNCC, to win. My ultimate goal is to win a National Championship, I think that's what any athletes goal is at the college. I just want to get a degree and help their team achieve greatness."

The one thing that stands out about Groves is her community involvement. Groves was honored with the college's Cougar Award in May, which honors an athlete that achieves success on and off the playing field, as well as the playing field.
"Really, I just want thank all the people that I got to know over my time at WNCC and those ALL the people that supported me doing what I love," she said.

No comments: