Friday, February 26, 2010

WNCC men, women set for final home game

Western Nebraska Community College’s Amber Kistler really hasn’t thought too much about Sunday’s last home contest against Northeastern Junior College. But, in the back of her mind there is some tears starting to develop as the Bayard graduate will be playing her last game at Cougar Palace as well as the Panhandle.

“It hasn't really sunk in yet that this is the last time I will be playing here,” Kistler, the Bayard graduate, said. “I've thought about it a lot, I just want our last home game in Nebraska to be a memorable one. For me, it will be my last game at the Palace and it's kind of sad in a way.”

The WNCC men and women will have their final home game of the season on Sunday as they entertain Northeastern Junior College. The women’s game tips off at 2 p.m. with the men’s game to follow.

The women enter Sunday’s contest at 22-7, while the men are 17-11. Both teams have a number of sophomores that will be playing their last games in Cougar Palace. After Sunday’s contest, the Cougar women will head to the regional tournament in Sterling, Colo., with a 3 p.m. contest against Little Big Horn College.

The men will have one more regular season game left after the NJC contest as they travel to Eastern Wyoming College on Monday. The men will then head to the regional tournament in Sheridan, Wyo. The Cougar men’s first contest at regionals is slated for March 6 at 8 p.m. against Lamar Community College.

Kistler and Stormye Everett are the only two women’s sophomores, while the men have four sophomores that will be finishing up their career at WNCC in Francisco Cruz, Saul Torres, Geddes Robinson and Scott Bamforth. Bamforth started the season before an injury sidelined him for the season.

Kistler is hoping to end her Cougar Palace playing career off in style

“I've played here before high school when I was on the Hickory Husker team when I was 13 so I have played here since then, through high school, and now college,” she said. “It's been an awesome experience since high school conference games, summer league, hosting regionals, and now my final home game Sunday.”
It will not be a tall order for the women’s or men’s team come Sunday against good Northeastern Junior College teams. In fact, the Plainswomen have defeated the Cougars six straight times, including three times last season. NJC defeated the Cougars in January 58-39.

Kistler said they need to be on the top of their game come Sunday.

“To come out on top with a win we have to play good defense and go hard on offense,” We need to get every rebound and every loose ball. We have to play real Cougar basketball. To stop their big girls, we just need to play our defense and rotate on defense also.”

Kistler’s shining moment as a member of the Cougar team was last year after the Cougars came back from a double-digit deficit to defeat Northeast Nebraska by 15 points.

“The most significant memory I have so far is when Coach Harnish came into the locker room after we beat Northeast Nebraska last year to host regionals and won the coin toss,” she said. “We were screaming and yelling, and he smiled at us. I think he was really proud.”

Well, Kistler is hoping to add another shining moment to her athletic career after Sunday.

“We are leaving it all on the court Sunday, we are ready to play like we know how to,” she said. “This Sunday is special to me because it is my last time to play in front of my home crowd, people who care about me, and on the floor I've spent so much time on. It's crazy but I'm ready for it. I can't really describe it right now. I just want to thank everybody who has done anything for us. The teachers, coaches, everybody is so great to us.”

No comments: