Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Scottsbluff's Huddleston signs with WNCC volleyball

Scottsbluff's Jodi Huddleston received an early birthday present Tuesday as she became Western Nebraska Community College volleyball coach Giovana Melo's first recruit for next year.

Huddleston, who will turn 19 on Wednesday, signed a letter of intent to play volleyball for the Cougars for the next years. She said it was always a dream to play volleyball for one of the top programs in the nation.

"I've always wanted to go there since I was a little kid after going to camps," Huddleston said. "And then after going on my college visit, that is where I really wanted to go. The girls were awesome, Coach Gi was pretty cool, and this guy [student assistant Cesar Banatti] was alright, too.

"It feels pretty cool that I am the first recruit for next year. I am really excited and I am a little nervous, too, because it is a new level. I am pretty sure I am ready for it, it is just a lot to look forward to. It is also very comforting to know a little bit of what I will be facing,"

With Huddleston's work ethic on the court -- she was on the B volleyball team in junior high -- Scottsbluff volleyball coach Shana DIck said Huddleston will give it your all.

" Jodi really has improved so much over the years because she is such a coachable person, and it is because she really works that hard," Dick said. "She didn't come into it naturally, she had to work at it and did whatever it took to get there. That is the kind of player she is. What I am going to miss is that you can ask her to do anything and she will do it. i am really excited to see what she will do at the next level."

Huddleston definitely saved her best for last as the 6-foot-1 middle hitter was a Star-Herald all-region first team selection. Huddleston finished her senior year with 243 kills, 155 solo blocks and 43 digs. The Bearcats finished this season with a 20-16 record before falling to Ogallala in the finals of the district tournament.

"I am very excited to get Jodi," Melo, who is in her second year as head coach at WNCC, said. "I have seen she has improved a lot and she still has more to improve. But she has done a good job for them and it is always good to get someone from around here.

"It is good that we have this kind of talent around here and to get them to come to our school because a lot of times they want to get away, is great. They are here for a long time and they want to get out of here. It is good to get them to come to our school and let them see what we have to offer and to keep them around for a little bit longer so the community can watch them play and see them grow even more."

Huddleston, who is also an outstanding track and field athlete, said she is looking forward to playing at WNCC and that it won't be that hard of transition since she already knows a lot of the volleyball players.

"I know half the girls already so it is comforting that I know them and it won't be like going into a new area, new school," she said. "I will still be starting over, but I will have friends and people that I know with me."
Huddleston will relish her senior season a lot having developed into a fierce middle blocker. Huddleston started for the Bearcats the last two seasons and realizes that she will miss her high school teammates, but is ready for the next level.

" i will miss all of them. They are great girls to play with and they are great friends," she said. "It was a lot of fun. This year we didn't get to go to state, but I couldn't have wanted a better team. They were so cool. Coach was patient with me, which was a really good thing because I needed a lot of work to be good, and I still have to do a lot."
Huddleston said her goal at WNCC is to get better, along with trying to win a national title. She also wants to excel at academics. She is planning on majoring in history.

"I want to play volleyball but mostly I want to get the right kind of education that I need because that is what I will be doing after college," she said. "I know college will be a lot quicker and I will have to work a lot harder. It probably be a little harder for me, but I will get used to it. I have improved a lot since I was a freshman and I still have room for improvement. So, I am really looking forward to it."

No comments: