Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Drexler signs with Division I San Francisco

Tawny Drexler couldn’t hold back the tears after signing a letter of intent to continue her playing career at the University of San Francisco on Friday.

Drexler, who was the starter for the Western Nebraska Community College women’s basketball team, said attending WNCC for two seasons definitely helped her achieve playing at the Division I level.

“I feel like I have succeeded more here than I could have anywhere,” an emotional Drexler said. “I have had the best time playing basketball here and have enjoyed it more than any time in my whole life. Coach [Dave Harnish] always believed in me in whatever it was. I knew that coming in every day to practice and knowing that you had someone there to tell you how do it right and what you need to do, was what I liked.”

WNCC women’s coach Dave Harnish said Drexler is the type of person that will succeed in whatever she does.

“From the emotion that you see [from Drexler], she has done a lot for us. She not only has been a very good player for us, but you see the passion she has had for Western Nebraska and that is hard to find. She brought so much to our program both on and off the floor. That is what we are going to miss most about her leaving and moving on.

“The reason she came here is she wanted to go Division I and it was certainly her dream. That is what our program is all about and we are excited in having her go and playing at San Francisco. If there is any kid that worked harder and proven herself in the 21 years I have been here, it has been Tawny. There has not been a kid that has worked harder and proven herself more to get where she wants to go and succeeding then her. That is a huge accomplishment of what she has done and it means a lot to me of what she has done the last two years. I wish her a lot of luck and she will do well if she works hard.”

Drexler, who also was considering Seattle University, is excited for the opportunity to live her dream of playing Division I basketball.

“It has always been my dream to play Division I,” the 6-foot post player from Golden, Colo., said. “I am very excited to play at that level.”

Drexler averaged 8.89 points a game and 6 rebounds a game. She also shot nearly 50 percent from the field. What makes Drexler stand out the most, though, is her work ethic on the court, where she is not afraid to get battered and bruised in getting a ball. She finished with 48 steals this season and committed just 35 turnovers.

Drexler is anticipating in bringing that physical-style of play to San Francisco.

“I will always go after every ball that I possibly can,” she said. “I like playing down low, but it will be a lot more difficult at that level.”

Drexler capped off her season at WNCC in fine shape, having one of the best final month of the season. Drexler recorded three double-doubles in that seven-game stretch, including a 16-point, 12 rebounds performance against Eastern Wyoming. Drexler also had a season-high 22 points against Colby Community College.

Drexler was named to the Region IX all-tournament team as well as being an All-Region performer.

As a freshman, Drexler helped lead the Cougars to the national tournament, while averaging nine points and seven rebounds per. Drexler is hoping to lead the Dons to the national tournament.

“I hope so,” she said. “Of course, I feel like if we have a team that has the drive and passion, we have all the chance in the world to do it.”

San Francisco head coach Tanya Haave is excited to get someone of Drexler’s passion for basketball.

“Tawny is exactly what we need," said Haave of the 6-0, forward. "She brings with her the size, physical attributes, work ethic and attitude that we need for our program. Our staff and team are excited to have her join the Green and Gold family."

Drexler will still play the post position at San Francisco, but will also more outside a little bit more. Not only will the position change be different, she will also be further away from home.

“It will be a lot different. I definitely will miss my winters and the snow, but I can get used to it,”

San Francisco will be different from Colorado or even western Nebraska. But the biggest change will not having her family at her games.

“Definitely I will miss my family,” Drexler said while looking over at her mom with a tear starting to come from her eye. “That will be very difficult for me because my family has always been my biggest fans of course. It will be really hard, but I will succeed.”

No comments: