Thursday, July 10, 2008

Scottsbluff’s Abbott signs with WNCC soccer

The "Bearcat Pride" T-shirt that Laura Abbott wore Thursday when she signed a letter of intent with Western Nebraska Community College told the story for the Scottsbluff High School graduate.

Abbott's pride on the field, along with her passion for soccer, came full circle her senior season for Scottsbluff.

Now, that passion has led the talented soccer star to the next level after signing to play soccer at WNCC.

"I think this year she decided to go to that next degree," Scottsbluff coach Chad Larson said. "She was voted team captain and you just could see her conditioning on the field. She did a really good job of holding the ball and creating scoring opportunities. She scored some goals herself and even played keeper. She was a pretty well-rounded player and was just awesome on and off the field."

Abbott, who was leaning on playing soccer at Midland Lutheran College, decided that staying at home to play was a better choice.

"I choice WNCC because I just want to play soccer, and the other schools that wanted me, were too expensive," she said. "WNCC is a good program. I talked to the coach and hopefully he can move me somewhere."

Abbott had a tremendous year on the playing field, which raised her stock at playing college soccer. The mid-fielder earned Star-Herald all-region first team honors in helping the Bearcats to a 7-6 record before falling to Gering in the semi-finals of the Class B district tournament.

"Personally, I thought I did better then I have ever done," Abbott said about her senior season. "I have always loved soccer, but this year was the year I really started to get into it a lot. As a team we did really good. We had a lot of team unity."

Abbott credits her passion for the sport to Bearcat head coach Chad Larson.

"Personally, I really liked what Chad did as a coach," she said. "I think he was more into it and had a lot of love for the game, and so that made me want more love for the sport, too. He really inspired me."

Larson said Abbott's success is due because of her hard work.

"I know she can be as good as she wants to be and I know Todd will push her to be even a better player and improve the skills that she has been working on the past couple of years," he said. "[Coach Todd Rasnic] will probably put her in a couple different positions then where we had her, because she had to be in certain spots for us. He will have a little bit more flexibility where he can put her. I am looking forward to coming up and watching her play."

Rasnic said Abbott will probably be playing the right mid-fielder position and is excited to be getting a local talent like Abbott.

"Our local programs have none a good job of developing players and it is great when one of the players chooses to stick around here," he said. "I know Laura had opportunities at other places and we were fighting to get her to come back and stay with us for a couple of years. I think she will be a great addition to the team.

"I agree with her and Chad's assessment. What I saw when I was looking at Laura is that passion for the game came through. We want to bring on players that have the same type of drive and passion in the sport that us coached do. I think Laura has it and I think she will be a great addition."

Abbott not only excelled on the soccer field, she also was also a key member of the Bearcat cross country team this past year.

"That [running cross country] is something amazing because she never none cross country before and she just decided to do it," Larson said. "She worked hard at it and did very, very well at it."

Abbott has been working out while playing soccer on a traveling team this summer coached by Gering soccer coach John Scott. That traveling team will compete in a tournament in Steamboat Springs, Colo., next weekend.

After that tournament, captains training for the college team will begin July 28 with the first day of practice set for Aug. 1. Abbott is not only looking at the new challenges of college soccer, but playing alongside Gering's Taylor Johns and Keah Brost, who signed with the Cougars in May.

No comments: