Thursday, June 12, 2008

WNCC basketball, softball get players from same high school out of Colorado

Hannah Strauss and Malari Gomer attended Ralston Valley High School in Arvada, Colo., and have known each other for a while. However, the two have never played the same sport.

Now, the two will continue their friendship at WNCC as each will be playing different sports for the Cougars next year. Strauss, a 5-foot-6 infielder will be joining the softball team, while Gomer will be suiting for the women’s basketball team.

Both are excited to be joining two programs that achieved Region IX titles a year ago.

“I’m very excited to come here,” Strauss said. “I decided to come up here to play because I knew I would regret it if I didn’t continue my career after high school. That way, if I hate it, I can still go home after a year and if I love it, I can still keep playing.”

Gomer decided that attending WNCC was a good fit for her as well.

“The classroom size, definitely drew me to WNCC,” Gomer said. “Also, because it is a two-year school so that I can go bigger or not do anything after two years.”

Strauss had a excellent season for Ralston Valley, helping them to the state championship. Strauss was a first baseman this past year, but usually played shortstop or third base. She was also looking at Metro State, Colorado State and Otero Junior College, but settled on WNCC.

“Coach [Maria] Winn actually called me after the state tournament. It was really unexpected,” she said. “I just want to get in and find a good major that I can hopefully pursue after I transfer out . I also want to succeed in softball and do everything I can.”
Strauss brings plenty of experience to the diamond having played the sport for the past eight years. She also hit her first home run out of the ball park when she was 13. She hopes to bring that same success to WNCC and help them back to the national tournament.

“It would be nice to do it [go to nationals] again,” she said.

Strauss realizes, though, that college ball will be a little different, but is up for the challenge.

“It might be a little harder like the work load might be different, but other then that I don’t think it would be that bad,” the all-league softball selection said.

Next year’s softball team will be loaded with freshmen, but Strauss doesn’t see that as a problem of succeeding.

“Not really because sophomores and freshmen are so close in ages,” she said. “It is not a very big age differential. I think it would be different if it was a four-year school.”

While Strauss is anxiously waiting for the college softball season to help the Cougars back to the national tournament, Gomer is doing the same. In fact, Gomer comes to WNCC with plenty of basketball highlights, including being named the Athletic of the Year at Ralston Valley.

Gomer also has her name plastered among the records books in a number of categories such as scoring, 3-point and free throw shooting, assists and steals.

Gomer, who stands 5-8, is primarily a shooting guard, and is excited for the new chapter in her life.

“I am very excited,” she said. “Coach [Dave] Harnish called me and I came up for a visit, looked at the campus and I really liked it.”

Gomer said she was also looking at Adams State and Metro State, but it was WNCC that won out. And, the Cougars are getting a heck of a good athlete in the meantime, especially from a team that finished in the Sweet 16 of the state tournament last year with a 19-6 record.

“We did pretty good this year,” she said. “Two of our key players were hurt during the state playoffs, so we didn’t go as far as we hoped. But we had a pretty good season.”

While Strauss played just one sport in high school, Gomer was an all-around athlete, participating in cross country and track and field. But, it was the basketball court where she excelled the most. Gomer averaged around 14 points a game and hopes to achieve the same success at WNCC as she did at Ralston Valley.

“I think there will be higher expectations here,” Gomer said. “I think you will have to work harder, but I think it should be fun.”

No comments: