Wednesday, May 07, 2008

WNCC's Beddome, Lyles sign with Division One Florida Gulf Coast

Western Nebraska Community College’s Emma Beddome and Chelsea Lyles didn’t even now each other before they became members of the women’s basketball team two years ago. Now, after two seasons sharing the same court, the two teammates will be partners for another two years when they signed with Florida Gulf Coast, a NCAA Division I institution.

“I always think it is an honor and great accomplishment whenever we are able to send kids to the next level and these two kids is deserving,” WNCC coach Dave Harnish said. “I think they have done very well this year and done the things necessary to get where they are suppose to be, and that is why they came to Western Nebraska.


“It is a joy for me and Coach Ped [Jennifer Pederson, assistant coach] to see them grow and develop, and have the opportunity to go down there and play at a Division One school. They just moved up from Division Two to Division One a year ago and did make it to the WNIT and won a game the first round and then lost by five to Florida. So, of all the schools they have been looking at, they have been the most successful.”

The Eagles, out of Ft. Myers, Fla., finished the season at 22-9 and winners of 17 of their last 19 games after moving to the Division I level. Both players said going to FGCU was a perfect fit.

“I liked the campus and I loved the weather, and I wanted to go someplace that wasn’t as cold as here,” Beddome said. “I knew there was a possibility that Chelsea was going there, and I knew that if we went there together, it would be a lot more fun. The program is really good and going Division I is something that I wanted to do.”

Beddome was also looking at University of Bridgeport, St. Francis in New York, Seattle University and Missouri Southern. Lyles, who was looking at attending Southern Illinois, San Jose, James Madison and New Mexico State, said that it will be an honor to play another two years with Beddome.

“It is nice to go with someone that you know and have that trust base with where you don’t have to come accustomed to again. She is always in your corner no matter what,” Lyles said. “When we went there, the weather was really nice and the campus was really beautiful. The team went to the WNIT tournament this year and did really well. I think I can be pretty successful there.”

Lyles said that coach is looking at her to become an impact player.

“He [head coach Karl Smesko] can’t guarantee any playing time, but he expects me to come in and be an impact player right away,” she said.

Lyles did, however, have an inkling to play volleyball, but had to settle with her first love. Lyles won a national championship with the Cougar volleyball team in the fall.

“There is always a thought in my mind to play volleyball, but I knew that basketball is my passion. It is what I love doing and I love being out there,” she said. “I might, however, play it for a fifth year just to get some money. Florida Gulf Coast has a really good volleyball program as well.”

For Beddome, she is going even further from home. Beddome, from Melbourne, Australia, said she has become accustomed to Scottsbluff after spending the last two years here. Beddome was also selected as the women’s basketball team’s Cougar Pride recipient at the Athletic Banquet Wednesday night.

“It was a big culture shock when I first got here,” she said. “Flying into here it looked like a big city with the lights. But once I got here, it was a big culture shock because of the size. I come from a town of about 3 ½ million and coming to a town of 14,000 is a big difference. I had to get used to it, but I am going to miss it. I really am.”

Harnish will also miss his two stars that helped lead them to the national tournament.

“It is always disappointing when you have sophomores that have contributed so much leave,” Harnish said. “What they did and what they accomplished this year in getting us to the national tournament in playing well at the right time, they had a lot of schools interested in them. They definitely will be missed. They will be tough to replace, but hopefully we will find someone like these two.”

No comments: