Wednesday, August 01, 2007

WNCC's Ventoza headed to University of Washington to play softball

Jessica Ventoza always had a dream of playing softball for the University of Washington.

And, after signing with another college to play another sport, Ventoza’s original dream came true after making an impression for Washington head coach Heather Tarr during a summer workout and earned a spot on the Husky softball team.

“Since the eighth grade when I stepped on that field [Washington’s] to play a summer league game I realized that I would love to play here,” Ventoza said. “And also when Coach Tarr was named head coach and was the only Pac-10 school to give me the time of day, I realized that she was the type of coach that I wanted to play for. She was and is (a coach) that cares about everyone interested in her program and she has done a lot for me, both with giving me encouragement and advice, and now (by giving me a chance to play collegiate) softball.”

WNCC coach Maria Winn-Ratliff said Ventoza should fit in well at Washington.

“I think that JV is a very special person and deserves the opportunity to compete at that level. I am very proud of her and wish her all the best of luck on her new journey,” Winn-Ratliff said. “She is the type of kid that gives it her all and I believe will see time on the field as it presents itself. She came to WNCC as a right-handed hitter/shortstop and we converted her to a left-handed slapper/hitter and a third-baseman. I think that is going to provide more of an opportunity for her at UW. She can also play OF so she is very versatile and can give them many looks. Having a player go into the Pac-10 for softball is a great accomplishment being that it is the number 1 conference for college softball.”

But, the road to Washington wasn’t an easy ride. Ventoza gave up on her dream of playing for the Huskies and decided to play her second-favorite sport, soccer, at St. Martin’s College.

“Two years ago when I was at Highline Community College she sent a scout out to watch me and then during the summer when I was playing for the Kent Rebels she came out to a tournament to watch,” Ventoza said. “We then continued talking throughout the summer and the beginning of last fall but I had kind of lost the desire to play. After our fall season was over at WNCC she told me that she wanted me to walk on. In all reality I thought she just was saying that and wasn't serious about it.”

So, during the early part of the spring softball season at WNCC, Ventoza decided to play soccer at Saint Martin’s College.

But Ventoza couldn’t get rid of her itch to play softball at Washington. She began having second thoughts after watching the Huskies play in the College World Series.

Ventoza sent Tarr an e-mail congratulating her and her team on a good season. Soon, Tarr called and asked her to try out for the team. In her two days of tryouts, Ventoza was very impressive, ripping home runs left and right, and playing strong defense at third. It was then that she decided to accept the walk-on opportunity to play at Washington.

“After a few weeks of emailing and talking with WNCC Coach Maria Winn, Coach Tarr, and Coach Walker, the Saint Martin's soccer coach, I realized that this was my opportunity and my dream was finally going to come true,” she said. “I was really excited to play soccer at Saint Martin’s, but when the Washington business was going about I realized that this was my one shot to live out my dreams and to become a great softball player. And Coach Walker along with some of my teammates totally understood.”

Ventoza realized though, that she has to work to see playing time, and she understands that.

“I have to prove to her that not only I can play but I can play with her girls and will be an asset to her program. And I think she has seen some of that over the years,” she said. “This is a walk-on situation but I will receive the same treatment and luxuries as the other players. I have the same opportunity to earn a position and am treated just like the others. Plus, I am not the only walk-on or the only transfer so that will be good as well.”

The season that Ventoza had for WNCC won’t hurt her chances of playing either. Ventoza helped the Cougar softball team to one of their best seasons ever at 36-21. She also became one of the top all-around players in school history finishing with a school record 34 steals, a .464 batting average and an .887 fielding average. She also had four home runs, 11 doubles, 70 runs scored and 32 RBIs last season for the Cougars.

At the Region IX tournament, Ventoza stepped up her game to a higher level. The 5-foot-6 infielder led the team with a .652 batting average while hitting three home runs and scoring 11 runs in six games in helping the Cougars to a runner-up finish. Ventoza was also named to the Region IX all-tournament team, as well as being a first team All-region selection. She was even named an academic all-American.

“I was pleased with my season at WNCC and I felt that I played well and worked hard for coach and her program. I had great coaching by Coach Winn and Coach Molly Bonuchi and without their help I may not be in this position today,” she said. “Transferring to WNCC made me a better player. I had better players around me, better coaching and through that, I was able to improve.

“It was also helpful having a very competitive coach that hates losing as much as I do. It also allowed me to grow as a person. Coach Winn taught me many valuable lessons that made me stronger both physically and mentally. And without the support and encouragement from the girls, Coach Molly, Ed Ratliff, Coach Winn, my family, dorm family, friends and my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I would not be standing in this position today. I am grateful for everything that everyone has done for me and for this opportunity that Coach Tarr has given me.”

Now, it is up to Ventoza to keep excelling at Washington, which she realizes will be tough, but at the same time she is pumped playing for a team that went to the College World Series. She hopes that she can bask in the glory of a national title in the coming years for the Huskies.

“I hate to lose and Coach Winn can tell you that. When I was being recruited by a couple other D1 schools, smaller ones, I asked if there was a shot of making it to the WCWS and they were unsure and some even said no,” she said. “Winning it all and becoming national champs is why I am here and there is some pressure to keep the tradition going. I know the returning girls have more determination to get back there because they know what it's like and there is nothing more that I would like to do while at Washington than to win that Championship for the girls and for Coach Tarr, they are very deserving.”

So far she is busy working on her softball skills. Ventoza said that she and a couple of other girls on the team have gotten together a few times to play a little. She even has practiced with her former traveling summer team the Kent Rebels, and has been doing polymeric exercises to get ready for the season. She said she has learned a lot from everyone she has come in contact with. Still that doesn’t guarantee playing time.

“As for becoming a stronger, better player, with the kind of talent that I will be playing with and against there is no saying how much better I can become,” she said. “But there is always room for improvement and I am excited to become the player that Coach Tarr wants me to be and to improve my game.”

Winn-Ratliff said that Ventoza is the type of player every coach wants on their team.

“Jessica is a tremendous athlete with an unlimited amount of potential. She is a team player and gave 100 percent everyday,” she said. “She made tremendous improvements while at WNCC and wish that I would have had to opportunity to coach her for 2 years.”

Now, Ventoza will get to fulfill her dream after one year at WNCC and never giving up her childhood dream.

“Not very many people think that their dreams will come true but my mother always told me to never give up and to always believe, and through those words I am living my dream!,” she said. “I hope that this is encouragement to other girls out there that want to play for their hometown school, because if you work hard enough, believe, and don't let anyone tell you that you’re not good enough you can live out your dreams, too!”

No comments: