Thursday, May 24, 2007

Former Cougar baseball player Lyall Foran waiting for MLB draft in June

When Lyall Foran came to Western Nebraska Community College four years ago to play baseball, he came with the notion to get better.

Now, after a stellar season at NCAA Division I Norfolk State University, where he helped the team to the most wins in school history, his eyes are set on next month’s Major League Baseball draft. Foran is hoping to hear his name called once again.

“I have been in contact with a couple of [Major League] teams such as the Marlins, Nationals and Phillies. At this point, I have done all I could do and now I just have to let the chips fall where it may. You never know with the MLB draft because there are so many good players out there and people looking to extend their career. You can never tell what a team wants until they make their final decision. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, someone will look out for me and I will keep playing.”

Foran was a mid 40-round draft pick coming out of high school in Surrey, British Columbia by the Atlanta Braves. But, instead of signing he elected to attend four years of college, two years at WNCC and then year each at Tusculum College and then Norfolk State. It was a decision that he is glad he made.

“I have improved tremendously. When I got to college, I was basically a player that could throw and hit the ball,” Foran said. “I really wasn’t that great of a catcher when I arrived at Western Nebraska. Now, looking back, I can honestly say I really worked hard and catching is one of my strong points as far as receiving, blocking and calling pitches. It has really complimented my hitting and throwing.”

At Norfolk State, he was named to the All-MEAC team after leading the Spartans and being among the elite in the conference. Foran ranked fifth in the MEAC with a .377 batting average, topped conference in on-base percentage (.503), and also was among the conference leaders in doubles (14), RBIs (37), slugging percentage (.580) and walks (29). Foran also has four home runs, second on the team.

Foran also was up for CSTV Player of the Year, which he was grateful for.

“Just to be recognized for that is really special for me. I always believed that if you work hard, people will recognize you and you will be rewarded for your work,” he said. “That is something I never really thought about and recognized for. It is a huge honor.”

Foran didn’t finish in the top 10, but he has dreams of playing at the next level. The one team he wouldn’t mind playing for is the Seattle Mariners, which is the closest to his home in Canada. But, if he doesn’t hear his name, he has plans on playing minor league baseball in Missouri.

“If I hear my name at all in getting drafted, I will be happy, but you always would like to go to the team close to home and the Seattle Mariners would be it for me,” he said. “But if I don’t get drafted, my college coach is affiliated with an independent ball club in Missouri, which is not affiliated with any Major League ball club, and I probably be headed to Missouri to play the summer out there.”

For Foran, though, just playing Division I baseball has been something he has dreamed of from his younger days.

“[Playing Division I ball] is one of the biggest thrills that I have ever had in by baseball career,” he said. “Since the time I was 9 years old watching the college world series on television, playing Division I has been something I have always wanted to do and getting the opportunity to play against the best of the best.

“I am grateful to have the opportunity that I have had, to travel to so many places and play for so many different coaches and teammates. Being with so many different teammates has changed my view on things and helped me develop not only as a ball player, but also as a person.”

No comments: